Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2017, 09:45 AM

Default Modern Military Trigger

Does a two-stage trigger meeting the 4.5 lb requirement violate rule 5.2.2c as "special accurizing or match conditioning" in terms of a rifle used for the Modern Military match?

HRF
Old 07-24-2017, 09:57 AM

I read that statement to indicate that any part that is considered to be a "match" part and not a mil spec part is in violation of the rule. I don't know how detailed the selective inspection was after the match but when I had my trigger weighed at the CMP van prior to the match, the armorer pulled the trigger manually before weighing it. I assume that he was looking for a 2 stage trigger. Mine is simply a smooth mil spec trigger assembly. It's obviously a single stage design and is heavy but it is pretty smooth.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:12 AM

Got selected for a "random" inspection during the MM match at Perry. Post match detailed inspection with a Rock River 2-stage NM trigger installed passed "as issued".
Old 07-24-2017, 06:23 PM

Any trigger that makes weight is legal. One, two or three stage, it doesn't matter.

The reason the the armorer pulls your trigger before weighing it, is to check the function of the safety switch. He flips the safety on and pulls once, then flips it off and pulls again. Then he weighs it.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:41 PM

Guys, I don't know how you can rationalize using a two stage trigger on an AR when there is a prohibition as to "special accurizing or match conditioning". Two stage triggers are not as-issue triggers on M4's or M16's and are match triggers. Not being caught doesn't constitute meeting the intention of the equipment rules. Just my two cents worth.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
Guys, I don't know how you can rationalize using a two stage trigger on an AR when there is a prohibition as to "special accurizing or match conditioning". Two stage triggers are not as-issue triggers on M4's or M16's and are match triggers. Not being caught doesn't constitute meeting the intention of the equipment rules. Just my two cents worth.
I have a feeling that because it's the CMP's intent to make the MM Games match more inclusive to bring in more & new shooters, tons of whom already have RR Ar's or similar with a factory 2 stage trigger, that they've decided to accept them in the Games matches. They should change the rule book include them and probably will eventually. I don't think it's a matter of they would "catch" guys with 2 stage triggers, I'm sure they're aware of the triggers are in the rifles, but they probably don't want to disqualify 1/2 the paid competitors on the line

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 07-24-2017, 08:01 PM

He was "caught" and he passed. The rule book says "standard production" or as issued". No one knows what "standard production" means. I agree the rules, as written, are woefully inadequate and the inspections are worse. Good Shooting. ...
Old 07-24-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wckz45 View Post
Got selected for a "random" inspection during the MM match at Perry. Post match detailed inspection with a Rock River 2-stage NM trigger installed passed "as issued".
What all did they inspect during the follow up inspection?
Just the trigger or what all?
Old 07-24-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
I have a feeling that because it's the CMP's intent to make the MM Games match more inclusive to bring in more & new shooters, tons of whom already have RR Ar's or similar with a factory 2 stage trigger, that they've decided to accept them in the Games matches. They should change the rule book include them and probably will eventually. I don't think it's a matter of they would "catch" guys with 2 stage triggers, I'm sure they're aware of the triggers are in the rifles, but they probably don't want to disqualify 1/2 the paid competitors on the line
Those who did not "pass" the inspection were not turned away, they were simply classified as "Unlimited".
Old 07-25-2017, 07:23 AM

I think part of the confusion, for me anyway, is what constitutes an "as issued" rifle these days? Every time you see a photo of someone in the armed forces, it seems like they are carrying a different configuration of the AR15 platform. You see different hand guard/rail systems, different stocks, different sights, and I have to believe some of them are using two stage triggers.