Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
What all did they inspect during the follow up inspection?
Just the trigger or what all?
Looking for heavy barrels, free float tubes, handguards with rails installed (if so equipped) and rifles obviously overweight.

Triggers checked for proper function and weight.

Only time rifles were weighed were if they were perceived to be overweight.

M-14 type rifles were checked for standard barrels and no NM parts (to include a marked front sight).

Morning relays included a gentleman with a SBR complete with suppressor.

I sat in the shade for relays 3&4 as well as relays 7&8 inspection periods and watched the inspection process (early show for afternoon relays and then the last guy through inspection and off the range).
Old 07-27-2017, 01:25 PM

I did see the silenced SBR guy, he was right behind us. Sadly, his rifle was more 'modern military' than any of the rest.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:48 AM

So...there are actually two Modern Military Matches... those who meet standards for their rifles and Unlimited Class for those with rifles that fail to meet standards.

Would that be: Modern Military Match and Fantasy Military Rifle Match ?

If the standards are clear and enforced, then there are two matches going on .
Old 07-28-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
So...there are actually two Modern Military Matches... those who meet standards for their rifles and Unlimited Class for those with rifles that fail to meet standards.

Would that be: Modern Military Match and Fantasy Military Rifle Match ?

If the standards are clear and enforced, then there are two matches going on .
Kinda like AI Garand and Unlimited Garand???
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
Old 07-28-2017, 07:35 AM

Not unlike the "As issued Garand", and the "Unlimited Garand."
Old 07-28-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
Kinda like AI Garand and Unlimited Garand???
I'm a bit confused by the unlimited class, too. Do unlimited shooters qualify for awards? If an unlimited class shooter posted the highest score, would he be the match winner? Are the unlimited shooters awarded medals and, if so, how do they establish the cut scores for unlimited shooters?
Old 07-28-2017, 08:49 AM

When I posted the question about triggers, I never expected to spark a debate concerning the entire classification of rifles used in the match. Since the debate is taking place however, I thought maybe it would be worth noting that, with few exceptions, no shooter has really been able to use an "As Issued" military rifle since 1957. Currently, most all the AR style rifles on the line deviate from their military counterparts to some degree. Unless the rifle is stamped "US Government Property", and is capable of full-auto/burst-fire, the lockwork is different than the mil-spec. Similarly, if you're shooting an M-4gery with a 16" barrel, your rifle is not "as issued". So it would seem the question is not whether rifles will be allowed to deviate from the "As Issued" format; but rather, how far will they be allowed to deviate.

Last edited by Hrfunk; 07-28-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:09 AM

My son and myself both used our service grades m14 clones in this match,and both had a post match check.Both passed with no problem,they checked the trigger, front and rear sights.There were several other m14 in the line with us a couple did not pass do to the sights being NM,and one over the weight limit.One other passed but got tagged for a unsafe trigger group.Overall we had a great time with the match .
Old 07-28-2017, 09:31 AM

SBR suppressed. Wow. Have not seen that on the line.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrfunk View Post
When I posted the question about triggers, I never expected to spark a debate concerning the entire classification of rifles used in the match. Since the debate is taking place however, I thought maybe it would be worth noting that, with few exceptions, no shooter has really been able to use an "As Issued" military rifle since 1957. Currently, most all the AR style rifles on the line deviate from their military counterparts to some degree. Unless the rifle is stamped "US Government Property", and is capable of full-auto/burst-fire, the lockwork is different than the mil-spec. Similarly, if you're shooting an M-4gery with a 16" barrel, your rifle is not "as issued". So it would seem the question is not whether rifles will be allowed to deviate from the "As Issued" format; but rather, how far will they be allowed to deviate.
You are certainly correct - once select fire weapons became the standard service rifles, it became impractical if not impossible for competitors to own a true service rifle. However, I think that it is quite possible to strike a balance between a true "as-issue" rifle and one that includes all aspects of an "as-issue" service rifle except for those characteristics (e.g., full auto capability and barrel length) that create legal issues for the owner. I honestly don't think that this is a difficult task. As you noted, the question is just how far can one deviate and still be within the intent of the match.