Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2017, 05:01 PM

Default How to Video: M1 Garand Barrel

I made this video since there was only one video available online that featured the steps involved with barreling an M1. This video does not show every action performed, however it is a breakdown of how simple it truly is to barrel these rifles with a few tools and a bit of time!

This video was uploaded and edited by me, so any questions can be directed here or on the videos comment section. Note the disclaimer's in the description and enjoy!

https://youtu.be/45uOZVzrErE
Old 07-29-2017, 06:07 PM

This is a great Vid. Thanks.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 07-30-2017, 06:28 PM

Thumbs up

Really great video. I wish I had that kind of video making ability. I'm just a PDF and Powerpoint guy myself.

The only two things I would definately do differently would be to put your cutting oil in a small pan and dip the reamer and use one of those nice brushes to swab cutting oil into the chamber before ever putting the dripping wet reamer into it. Too much is never enough. It might be more messy but just dribbling some oil on the reamer and then reaming a dry chamber isn't how I do it or how my instructions suggest doing it. Sorry, I didn't watch all the way through but did you remove the reamer about halfway done, thoroughly clean it and the chamber and go back in to finish (after re oiling of course)? I usually do that at least twice and more if the job takes quite a few turns to finish. That's a critical step to make sure reaming debris is causing damage or giving you a false non closing of the bolt which could cause you to ream too much.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:42 AM

Thumbs up

Larry, I do mention in the video a few times to remove the reamer and clean it completely, I've seen other videos a while back where they just reamed the whole thing in one shot, and that always made me nervous, so I stressed it here.

But, in the video which I know is hard to see, the reamer is actually getting a coating of oil to where oil is dripping off of it, as I also remember reading your instructions years ago, but I failed to re-consult them when I made the video. Good point to note, and store in the memory banks!