Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemaymiami View Post
I make a long run from south Florida up that way every few months (family business) and find that 75, then 285 west to I-20 works the best... I try to clear Atlanta before 3:30Pm on the run.... Since I'm a long retired cop I learned long ago to use my cruise control set at 8 miles over whatever the posted limit is - and never get stopped. My final destination is a bit north of Anniston to Huntsville and 431 is where I actually need to pay close attention to the road.... My mileage at the end of the trip (with a very early start) is somewhere north of 800 miles in that day. The run up is eased by gaining an hour as I cross over into Alabama.

The hard part is just grinding out the miles and being a bit disciplined about the time it takes for gas and pit stops (at my age probably two pit stops for each gas stop...). Reversing the run, the beltway around Atlanta, then the road construction areas south of Atlanta, are still the only hassles...

Now if the CMP ever got a new supply of carbines - I'd have a great reason to stick around Anniston for day or so.... Good luck on your trip.
Great advice. I have already purchased my 8 M1s for this year, but if there is a tent sale this fall then I'm planning to go.

I appreciate the input from all of those who responded.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:50 PM

I'm just east of you in the Port Saint John area 30-35 miles away, I go to Anniston anytime I have extra cash or am going north for any reason ,I always manage to find something worth buying, Kississimee has grown up from the little Cow Town it used to be 30-40 years ago so I hope you enjoy it still a very nice place to live,When I go to the south store and I've made many trips from here I go up I-75 to Atlanta, But you sure don't want to get caught in Atlanta going either way in the 4pm to 6:30 pm for sure it's a nightmare bumper to bumper wreck-fest ,I usually stop for a meal if it looks like I'm hitting it near that time,I have never had any trouble in the morning as by the time I reach Atlanta from either direction that morning traffic is long gone, from Atlanta cut across on 20 but watch for the Lawmen along 20 there's usually plenty,But going up 75 is usually clean to push it.Also, there are Much cheaper Nice hotels in town away from the Anniston exit when you first get off the Highway..
Old 08-16-2017, 12:48 PM

If I leave Leesburg (an hour north of Baseball City) at noon, it's 3 hoursish to my gas stop at Valdosta, then another 4 hoursish to Atlanta. You can check Atlanta traffic on Google maps on the south side of the beltway, before the I675 split, and decide on a route. If you hit the beltway at 7PM or later, it will be exciting but manageable. Stay on the beltway rather than to I20 directly. Alabama is on Central time, so conduct yourself accordingly the next morning. Gas is usually at least 10/gallon cheaper in Georgia, so fill up at Valdosta on the way home.

I'm what you'd call a legend in my own mind.

2071 posts on the old forum - not that I'm counting . . .

Last edited by edlmann; 08-16-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:05 PM

You guys are a wealth of information. Thank you.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:16 AM

Default To Ala

Best I believe and the way I would go is:

Take Hwy 16 off of I75 and go to Bremen on I20. Bypasses all of Atl traffic.

Grits
Old 08-17-2017, 09:04 AM

Location: Indiana "...upon the east bank of Big Blue River..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits View Post
Best I believe and the way I would go is:

Take Hwy 16 off of I75 and go to Bremen on I20. Bypasses all of Atl traffic.

Grits
Hey ... Hwy 16 takes you through Senoia, GA. We stopped there last May on the way to Anniston from Savannah. It is a neat little town.

Be sure to stop and have a cup of Wake the Dead coffee. And be sure to tell Rick and Darryl I said "HI"!
Old 08-18-2017, 07:51 AM

Made the run I'be already described again yesterday and it worked like a charm. I cleared the beltway around Atlanta at around 3pm and was clear all the way to Anniston. Now , if only the CMP still had carbines I'd have a reason to stop for a day or so..
Old 08-18-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
If I leave Leesburg (an hour north of Baseball City) at noon, it's 3 hoursish to my gas stop at Valdosta, then another 4 hoursish to Atlanta. You can check Atlanta traffic on Google maps on the south side of the beltway, before the I675 split, and decide on a route. If you hit the beltway at 7PM or later, it will be exciting but manageable. Stay on the beltway rather than to I20 directly. Alabama is on Central time, so conduct yourself accordingly the next morning. Gas is usually at least 10/gallon cheaper in Georgia, so fill up at Valdosta on the way home.
I agree with Edlmann that this route is "easier" (faster and fewer "blue light welcomes") than taking the back roads through Tallahassee/the Panhandle and then northwards until you catch I-20. I try to time it so that I get through Malfunction Junction in Atlanta well past rush hour, ideally 8-9 pm, and take the beltway around the city.

Oh, and welcome to Florida!