Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2017, 01:55 PM

Default Photo Hosting

With the end of Photobucket as a realistic hosting site for photos on the CMP Forums, I was wondering if it could be possible for the CMP itself to add a photo hosting feature to the forums such that images could be embedded in the text. Some firearm sites, such as Gunboards, have this built in. It is pretty convenient.

Thank you for considering this.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:07 PM

All the advertising spammers on Gunboards pays the added cost of image hosting. One of the things I like about the CMP forum is there are no adds & popups like other sites. But the CMP alone foots the bill for the entire website and forum. The loss of PB is imo, a blessing in disguise, it became so slow and ladden with adds/popups it is very user unfriendly. There are much better/easier hosting sites like imgure for us to use at no cost

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 08-12-2017, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by talking warrior View Post
With the end of Photobucket as a realistic hosting site for photos on the CMP Forums, I was wondering if it could be possible for the CMP itself to add a photo hosting feature to the forums such that images could be embedded in the text. Some firearm sites, such as Gunboards, have this built in. It is pretty convenient.

Thank you for considering this.
Completely understand what you are asking, but longstanding position regarding the forum is no hosting of photos...would cost additional money for the forum capability (software), as well as additional and more significant money for additional server space to host said pictures...pics devour bandwidth and storage space at a staggering rate.

As Ghost has said in the past, the forum is simple, which means cheap, which means no subscription fees for members, and no ads/pop-ups, etc, and will continue as such.

I recommend checking into some more user-friendly photo-hosting sites, such as Imgur, Google Photos, Flickr, TinyPic, DropBox, PostImage, etc. to just name a few as there are several others (no endorsement intended).
Also, if you are an Amazon Prime member, they offer unlimited photo storage and hosting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
All the advertising spammers on Gunboards pays the added cost of image hosting. One of the things I like about the CMP forum is there are no adds & popups like other sites. But the CMP alone foots the bill for the entire website and forum. The loss of PB is imo, a blessing in disguise, it became so slow and ladden with adds/popups it is very user unfriendly. There are much better/easier hosting sites like imgure for us to use at no cost

And what Doug said!

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544

Last edited by Big_Red; 08-13-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:05 PM

Thanks for clarifying this. I didn't realize that photo-hosting would be such a large expense. Using a pop-up blocker and spam-detector, so I guess I don't see that side of Gunboards.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:32 PM

Another issue that most folks overlook is the legal issues.
CMP would be responsible for any photos they hosted that are subject to copyright violations.
Most likely one person would spend a considerable amount of time responding to take-down notices.
Not an issue that an organization dedicated to Firearms Training and Competition wants to get involved with. It is very easy to use that as a method of harassment for those anti-2A folks.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:50 PM

Big Red--thanks for the update, I have been wondering some of the same issues, had no idea of the additional expense for hosting!!
Old 08-14-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshot223 View Post
Big Red--thanks for the update, I have been wondering some of the same issues, had no idea of the additional expense for hosting!!
As someone that deals with content distribution networks (CDN), I can tell you it gets really expensive really quickly. The company I work at pays millions per month to deliver our software and updates to our very large customer base. Yes, millions. Per month.

Almost every distribution plan out there is a running tab plan, charging a few cents per GB served depending on how you negotiate and how much you plan to distribute. Let's average at 8 cents per GB since CMP is pretty small in the grand scheme of companies.

In an example, let's say you decide to upload ten 5MB pictures of the sweet new SG gem the CMP just sent to you. Each person that views your post of pictures will be served 50MB of data. Once 21 people view your post, that just cost CMP 8 cents. And that's one post. Imagine how much the M1 Carbine order thread with self-hosted pictures would have cost the CMP.

There's a reason many sites have advertising in them, and its not so they can get massively rich (even though they'd like to).
Old 08-16-2017, 05:36 PM

Amazon, google, and Apple all offer hosting of pictures. If you somehow do not have one of them in your life there are other websites that will do it. The Amazon one is beyond easy, it automatically backs your photos onto the cloud and will give you a URL for that picture or an album you create. No ads, no spam, no viruses.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
Completely understand what you are asking, but longstanding position regarding the forum is no hosting of photos...would cost additional money for the forum capability (software), as well as additional and more significant money for additional server space to host said pictures...pics devour bandwidth and storage space at a staggering rate.

As Ghost has said in the past, the forum is simple, which means cheap, which means no subscription fees for members, and no ads/pop-ups, etc, and will continue as such.

I recommend checking into some more user-friendly photo-hosting sites, such as Imgur, Google Photos, Flickr, TinyPic, DropBox, PostImage, etc. to just name a few as there are several others (no endorsement intended).
Also, if you are an Amazon Prime member, they offer unlimited photo storage and hosting!

WHAT? Awesome info. I was just looking for a new place to put my photos that I can't even get off photobucket.