Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2017, 03:07 AM

Default Ambidextrous Safety in Service Rifle?

Guys, with all the rule changes in Service Rifle, I was wondering if an ambidextrous safety selector is now legal to use? I'm a left handed shooter, so an ambi safety is a handy thing to have on the rifle.

Thanks in advance!
Phillip
Old 08-20-2017, 09:06 AM

The rules allow lefthanded receivers. Logically, an ambidextrous safety would be OK, but it isn't specifically addressed. A query to CMP Competitions should give you peace of mind. Good Shooting. ..
Old 08-20-2017, 03:15 PM

I asked about that specifically, in regards to the 6.1.2....the traditional safety is hard to reach with that stock (easy to flip off, hard to get back on).

CMP shot it down. Switch was to be on either side, depending on the "hand" of your receiver, but not both.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham_Chu View Post
I asked about that specifically, in regards to the 6.1.2....the traditional safety is hard to reach with that stock (easy to flip off, hard to get back on).

CMP shot it down. Switch was to be on either side, depending on the "hand" of your receiver, but not both.
I guess this is another case of the CMP being out of touch with the configuration of the standard service rifle. The M4A1 carbine has an ambidextrous safety.