Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2010, 01:14 AM

Default USGI sling for the Mauser 98k

I plan to use the 98k for Vintage Military but the hitch is that the sling slot for the 98k is 7/8 while the USGI sling is 1.25" in width.

Have played around with a couple of rear barrel bands from Numrich but ended-up mailing those back for a refund.

The USGI sling fits in to the slot but the problem is that the width of the rear band is a bit skinny for the band spring. So, the band spring slips out every now and then when I get into position with a sling for prone.

I thought about making my own sling but I figured I might as well ask if there is a work around - like a 1" width sling or the "right" barrel band for this set-up.

Appreciate the feedback.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:47 AM

I have had a life long fascination with the M-98 and its various patterns. A standard K-98 has a side mounted sling loop on the middle band and a slot cut in the stock for the tail of the standard German carrying strap. I cannot figure out how a USGI 1907 or web sling could be used on a standard K-98. Do you perhaps have one of the M-98 patterns that had a middle band with a sling loop mounted on the bottom along with a rear sling loop? Could you put up a picture? If yours is a standard K-98, you can use the sling in prone, but it will not be a ideal set-up as sling pressure will pull the barrel to the left.

Some further questions. Is your rifle chambered for 7.92x57mm or is it in some other caliber? What ammunition are you using? Are your sights the standard pyramid from and vee rear or are they a different pattern? Sincerely. bruce.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:08 PM

You are allowed to use a band with a 6:00 1 &1/4" swivel. Just rummaging through bands I found one that fit my K98 perfectly. Many Mausers were made for wide slings. Since the rules now allow the sling to be removed for offhand in all games matches, there is no need to concern yourself with the rear sling mount. CMP finally came up with a solution to foreign rifle sling variations. There have been commercial 1" 1907 military style leather slings. but they are not allowed under the present rules. Good Shooting.....
Old 09-04-2010, 02:03 PM

Bruce - the rifle is for 7.92 while the sights are standard, gives the shooter that "W" sight picture. Receiver code is 27, year is 1940. I do have pics but can't seem to find them at the moment since I moved on to the iPhone (also updated to a new laptop) so the old pics are somewhere in the hard drive. The reason why I want to use this particular mauser is due to the inlet in the buttstock for a rear swivel.

Ceresco - Thanks for noting the sling can be removed for offhand, was not aware of that. Will have to re-read the CMP rules book again. By the way, the rear barrel bands that I have sourced from Numrich (then returned) are from a VZ24 and a Gew. 98 (or could have been from a Czech 98/22 or Turk, for that matter). Would you have a pic of that rear band that worked for your set-up? If not, would you know from what mauser variety that rear band came from? Just need a rear band with a 6 o'clock set-up that is as "wide" as the 98k rear band so that the band spring stays put.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:18 PM

Unfortunately, the band is on loan to another K98 shooter. I have no idea what rifle it came from although It looker very "Mauser" and fit perfectly. It may have had a swivel at both the 6:00 & 9:00 positions--can't remember. You might get someone at Numrich or Sarco to help. The South American Mausers (Brazilian) might be a possibility. Since CMP doesn't appear to be very fussy about the band you could fabricate one by simply adding a 1.25 from any common rear sling swivel to the standard K98 band. Altering a band to fit the K98 is another possibility. The Jap 99 band is plenty big and has multiple attachment points for the bipod that could be used for a sling swivel. The wide front band from a #4 SMLE might be another possibility. Good Shooting......
Old 09-05-2010, 12:53 AM

This works without changing the band, on any rifle/carbine that has a narrower sling swivel than the typical US 1-1/4"

You are looking at a USGI M1 sling on a Yugo 24/47. The USGI sling clip has been narrowed to a width of about 1" by slicing a bit off of each side with a cut-off wheel in a Dremel tool. This is the rear swivel, but there is no reason that you couldn't use this on the front swivel. I have several of these narrowed clips in use on a variety of Mausers and GEW 1888 Commission rifles.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

"It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!"
Old 09-02-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
This works without changing the band, on any rifle/carbine that has a narrower sling swivel than the typical US 1-1/4"

You are looking at a USGI M1 sling on a Yugo 24/47. The USGI sling clip has been narrowed to a width of about 1" by slicing a bit off of each side with a cut-off wheel in a Dremel tool. This is the rear swivel, but there is no reason that you couldn't use this on the front swivel. I have several of these narrowed clips in use on a variety of Mausers and GEW 1888 Commission rifles.

Resp'y,
Bob S.
Reviving this old thread for some curiosity....
The clip method you show is exactly what I did but found later that this is against the rules
3.6 and 3.6.3 M1907 and M1 slings need to be attached directly to the rifle with no added clips?
Also what is a M1 sling I they referring to the web sling ?

Im still hunting down a sling loop locator for my K31 and K98
Might just make one at some point
Old 09-02-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
Reviving this old thread for some curiosity....
The clip method you show is exactly what I did but found later that this is against the rules
3.6 and 3.6.3 M1907 and M1 slings need to be attached directly to the rifle with no added clips?
Also what is a M1 sling I they referring to the web sling ?

Im still hunting down a sling loop locator for my K31 and K98
Might just make one at some point

Wow! Seven years ago . . .

If you want to use the K31 for the "A" Course, you can use the standard USGI web sling with a sling clip from the K31 sling. So, if you have a spare K31 sling clip, you have to disassemble the USGI web sling and retrofit the K31 sling clip in lieu of the web sling clip. Make sense?

Also, if you have a 1911 Long Rifle or K11, the rear sling loop will accept the sling clip from a USGI web sling.

Another tip, if you can find the correct-fitting front sling loop for a K98, you can use that as well so that the web sling at the 6 'clock location.

Another thing you may use the front sling loop from a 1911 Long Rifle and retrofit that to the K31 so that you have the web sling at the 6 'clock location. It's an option, not a mandate.

For Vintage Military rifles, K31 and K98 for example, the USGI web sling may not be attached to the rifle for the offhand/standing course of fire. For a K31, you can leave the USGI web sling attached, not an issue. For a K98, there is no need.

The "3.6.3 Sling Attachment" rule applies to vintage US Service Rifles, M1 or Springfield 03, since the sling is used as rifle position support not just used to carry the rifle. In other words for US Service Rifles, the rifle and sling go together.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:23 PM

trying to do they same thing years ago, I ordered one each of every Mauser 98 bands that SARCO had....not one (of the five) came even close to fitting. They are still around, somewhere.....

I am now looking to mount a Weaver K4 to mine and use it in the Vintage Sniper match.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham_Chu View Post
trying to do they same thing years ago, I ordered one each of every Mauser 98 bands that SARCO had....not one (of the five) came even close to fitting. They are still around, somewhere.....

I am now looking to mount a Weaver K4 to mine and use it in the Vintage Sniper match.

Do you have a copy of Mauser Military Rifles of the World?

If so, please go to page 121 and read up on "G 98 Transitional Model Rifle, Weimar Republic."

That lower band, similar dimensions 98k or Standard Modell lower band, has the 6 o'clock sling loop location.

Got mine at gunboards about seven years ago and reach out to Springfield Sporters Corp. in PA.

You are not looking hard enough