Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog View Post
Not bad! I'm assuming that was taken through a window, because the duck didn't flee?
Not through a window. That was taken from about 15 feet away, outside on the patio. They are wild mallards but there is no threat to them here. Our back yard oasis is fenced in with a 6 foot high masonry fence and no dogs or cats to bother them. For the past 2 years we have had one female come that would come to right up to our patio door and follow my wife to the pan where she put cracked corn to feed them. I don't know if this is the same female this time. Two years ago that female had 5 babies here but the father must have been killed before she layed the normal amount of eggs. All of the babies died within 5 days of hatching. She was back last year and again came to the door. She came many times with another male but did not nest here that year. The ducks will approach to within a few feet of us if we don't move much but any sudden movements send them flying. If we get too close they move away. Last fall 8 or 9, male and female, would come each morning to feed on the corn and then leave after about an hour of swimming in the pond.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:09 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jaw1947

I was waiting for the duck to quack. Now have her take a few Rifle pics.
Great pics and thanks for the posting.
Regards,
John
Old 01-27-2010, 09:35 PM

I think the frog in the bottom of the photo might be jealous! I'd keep an eye on him.

Great photo.

Eric
Old 01-31-2010, 07:50 PM

very nice picture, but I am curious why you think the drake had a white mother? This drake, while stunning, is simply in spring plumage. Lots of nice brite feathers to attract the ladies.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marka1187 View Post
very nice picture, but I am curious why you think the drake had a white mother? This drake, while stunning, is simply in spring plumage. Lots of nice brite feathers to attract the ladies.
This male has WAY more white feathers than any of the hundred or more male mallards that have been here the past few years. I haven't noticed much change if the plumage of any of the males with a change in season. Most have green heads in the sun and a white stripe around their neck and two white stripes on their wings. This one has a lot of very light grey feathers above and below both wings that appears pure white in the sun. There are quite a few domesticated white ducks that have gone wild and they will keep company with mallards. I just came in from watching them in the pond (6:10pm Mountain Time). They arrive every morning at dawn and will leave in a few minutes at dusk. She does have a nest here. When she begins to incubate her eggs she will stay all night and he will leave and return the next morning until they hatch.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:27 PM

If form factor is a serious issue, then the micro fourth-thirds system is a solid solution.

Then there's the Leica M9 rangefinder. But that's on the pricey end for most people.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
http://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com
Old 02-12-2010, 10:15 AM

I have a very cheap and old diggy camera. I tried getting a newer , better camera but none of them are compatible with my old out dated operating system.
How about some advice there?
Don't say get a new computer ....... I don't replace stuff just cause it's old.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterX View Post
I have a very cheap and old diggy camera. I tried getting a newer , better camera but none of them are compatible with my old out dated operating system.
How about some advice there?
Don't say get a new computer ....... I don't replace stuff just cause it's old.
Depends on how old your operating system is. My old Epson camera used a USB enabled memory card and it came with an adaptor cable that plugged into a USB1 port. From there all pictures could be copied to the hard drive or a floppy disk using the operating system's file managements. That computer initially had Windows 95, later upgraded to 98 and then XP. If your computer is older than that you have a really big problem. Sad as it is, anything with electronics in it i.e. cameras, computers and cars, are all eventually destined for the land fill. As much as I dislike doing it, I have to replace my computer every ten years and that's really pushing it's usefullness. When I do upgrade I go for the fastest processor and biggest memory I can afford. I do not invest in game machines. My last aquisition, a year ago, was a Gateway with a 1.8 gig quad processor, 4 gigs of memory, a 19" wide LCD display, a color printer (which I have not even opened because ink will send you to the poor house) and a lot of other good features essential to photo work. It was offered as a package deal at Bestbuy for $700. I had to buy Photoshop Elements to have graphics software that was compatible with the new VISTA operating system, but like the new computer, the new software was worth the upgrade from my old Photoshop LE. That computer replaced a 10 year old Gateway laptop that initially cost me $4000. Unlike automobiles, new computers and cameras get better, faster and cheaper with advances in technology, the same thing that sends the old ones to the land fill.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:18 PM

I am on windows 98.
I had even tried to find a memory card reader that I could use with a new camera and my older computer.
Everything I have found tho requires newer systems.
I had even called a tech support on the problem , they pretty much laughed me off the phone when I told them windows 98. It was almost like they thought I was joking.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:57 PM

hunterX The problem with using an old computer with a new camera is technology. Everything today is much faster, software requires much more memory to run it and photo file sizes are much larger. If your old computer has a USB port it is likely only USB1, very slow. If it does not have a USB port it's dead in the water. It may have only a 3-1/2 inch floppy and maybe no CD writer. A 3-1/2 inch floppy will hold one or two photos from a high resolution camera. The hard drive will be slow and have a small capacity. Most of it will already be occupied with application software. Every computer should have an antivirus program running in the background and it has an enormous appetitie for memory. If it does not have enough memory it will simply hold off every other operation until it's finished doing it's job. In other words, the computer dies. Advances in technology creates a tough world for those that want time to stand still. That old software is no longer supported by the manufacturer and neither is that old hardware. The leap to a Windows VISTA system from Windows 98 is comparable to traveling by horse and buggy to traveling by jet aircraft, only it's a much bigger jump than that for the computer. I might point out that VISTA is already obsolete. The B52 is not and it's way over 50 years old.
FOOTNOTE: When I started working on the B52 in the early 1950s, all computers were all analog. "DIGITAL" didn't exist except for light switches which were either ON or OFF. The B52 Altitude, Air Speed, Latitude, Longitude etc was computed by gear driven computers. The ground avoidance radar (flying 200 feet above the ground really fast) was computed by hearing aid technology vacuum tubes that had just begun to be integated with transistors (a very primitive device at the time). The B52 has been kept in the air by continuous upgrading of the electronics and mechanics to keep abreast with technology and mechanical deterioration. The cost has been awesome but has kept that aircraft at the forefront of the world's defense systems.

Last edited by VMFn542bob; 02-14-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: added foot note