Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2010, 12:50 PM

I am aware of what the problem is , still I won't be getting a new puter just cause it's "old".
I do have a USB port and I may even have 2 of them.
That's how I connect my current camera to the computer to transfer pics.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:29 PM

hunterx - I don't know what you hope to learn from this forum. Your old computer will not support a new high resolution digital camera. That is a fact. As I see it your options are very limited if you do not choose to upgrade your computer. Here are two options I can see.

1 - You can find a friend who has a late model computer who will let you use it, or

2 - You can join a photography club or a computer club that has late model computer assets that are available for the use of members. In Sun City, AZ we have both clubs. As far as I know, the members are at least as old as I am (average age here is 75) and they all own their own latest technology computers and cameras. They just don't know how to use them. I joined one of the camera clubs for a while because the club has digital printers and chemical processing labs and dark rooms I could not even think of affording to buy for my own private use. But as a member of the club I could use their equipment, buy their paper for making prints, use their computers if I wanted to to do that and get free help from retired experts in each of the fields..

Having said this I understand very well and appreciate that there are some people who do not want to keep up with advances in technology. I have an older friend here that still has a Windows 98 PC. He spends more time and money trying to keep it running than it would take to just buy a new one. Whatever make you both happy is OK.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:33 AM

Default I suggest that you invest in an "Eye-Fi card:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHCM1 View Post
I'll start this discussion with some comments about this second point: When I decided I wanted to get good at taking pictures of guns I took _hundreds_ of photos. Each batch of 4 or 5 shots required a round trip from my camera (pulling the memory card out) to my PC where I opened the images and played with touch-up software. Then back to the camera to change some setting or lighting arrangement for 4 or 5 more shots. Over and over until I found a formula that looked good.

I think if you want to get consistent you'll have to invest this time.
To get MUCH better efficiency, I use an "Eye-Fi" SD memory card that sends your pix automatically to your computer (via radio waves) from where you are taking them without removing the card from your camera! - This eliminates your ordeal in the part of your quote I included above.

Your camera MUST use an SD or SDHC type memory card and you have to have a wireless router on your computer. If this is the case I strongly recommend it!

Check out the EYE-FI here:
http://www.eye.fi/

I use mine all the time when I take gun pix in my lightbox in my basement and it sends them all up to my computer upstairs ready and waiting for me to edit or touch them up - No fuss!

HTH

RonJon
Old 07-19-2010, 10:00 PM

The depth of knowledge never ends on this site. Talk about guns and ammo and nauture in one breath, you've got to love America.
Oldbrk42
Old 01-18-2011, 03:15 PM

Just ran across this great thread. Several posts have mentioned a light box. There are lots of sites on the internet on how to build one. But I would like to add my personal experience in putting together an inexpensive one. A trip to Home Depot got me some PVC pipe, glue and I picked up a new white bedsheet as the diffuser. That was it. I then purchased some 100 watt CFL bulbs and clamp on reflectors.

You need four legs and four cross members for the crown. I used 3/4 inch PVC pipe from Home Depot. Comes in 10 foot lengths. I cut it into 2 foot and 3 foot lengths.

The extra tee shaped thingy is just that, a tee connector. I bought that for extending the shape to a rectangle. I can have a 6 foot by 3 foot by 2 foot box at its largest. You just use the tee between two segments of the crown to increase length. Make sure you get the connector which is NOT threaded.

[img]Basic parts to the box[/img]

This is the basic or fundamental part. It forms the "crown of the box". All the connecting or interconnecting pipes to form the box attach to four of these pieces. It is the only part that needs to be glued together with pipe cement. Its composed of a TEE CONNECTOR, an ELBOW and a couple of inches of the pipe to join them together. NOTE that the orientation of the four of these is very important.

[img]The fundamental part [/img]

These are the four crown pieces in their proper orientation to each other.

[img]The corners [/img]

The final box is this. Just slip a piece of Oak Tag school project paper on the bottom and its done. Good thing is you can get various colors of Oak Tag.

[img]Completed light box [/img]

Total cost was about 30 bucks for everything. Much cheaper than a commercially sold one by anywhere from 40 to 150 bucks.

The other thing I found important was understanding the White Balance setting on the camera. Had to buy a "photo grey card" (10 bucks - really optional but I wanted to do it by the book) and once I set the White Balance properly for the CFL bulbs I purchased, it came out fine.

I will post a couple of final photos in the next post.

Throw a white sheet over the frame to get the light bounce etc...

[img]Viola ! [/img]

Last edited by 1776 rebel; 06-05-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:31 PM

As I said in prior post, here are a couple of shots I took using the light box and just a Nikon Coolpix 4200 point and shoot camera (4MP). I don't have any fancy post processing software and just use JPGs right from the camera. The other thing is the "creative" aspect of the photo. What to emphasize, how to pose the object, etc. I found out that I look at the photos of others more carefully now. And I steal ideas freely !!! LOL

Last edited by 1776 rebel; 07-05-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:02 PM

Wow...now I have something else to build!
Thanks for all the tips!

sjames
Old 01-18-2011, 07:42 PM

Couple more ideas....gray card, light meter, and a small air compressor to blow the dust off your subjects, especially the nooks and crannies. Those last photos by 1776rebel are a good example of clean subjects! Imagine photos that crisp and close-up with dust and fuzzballs in there too.

Last edited by Rondog; 01-18-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:13 PM

How are your lights set up? I couldn't see in your picture.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:40 AM

For me, I have to do things on the cheap so I just clamped the lights to what I had in the garage: the legs of a ladder and a step stool. This allowed me to move stuff around until I got it so that the shadows were pretty much gone. A couple of lights on the side and one on top and one in the back. Learned that more light is better than less for these kinds of photos. I could easily have used another four or even six more bulbs, for a total of 800 to 1000 watts output. That is why I used the CFLs. They run on almost no input and run very cool. A few years ago I had purchased a professional photo bulb and it was like turning on a hair dryer. Damm thing almost was red hot after 5 minutes. But again by using the CFLs I had to adjust the white balance on the camera. If I hit the lottery someday I might be inclined to buy something more professional to hold the lights.

BTW that shot of the M1 Garand muzzle is of my CMP SA M1 that I picked up at the North Store a couple of years ago. The flintlock was made for a friends dad by Ron Ehlert (you can google him, he was very well known for his work. Sadly he passed away a couple of years ago) . Got it when my friend was selling off his fathers guns after he passed away also. Its a 32 cal. squirrel gun that is just an unbelievably well balanced delicate little thing. The two knives are just a pocket knife I've had for probably 40 years, and a beautiful Randall model 19 "Bushmaster" (as knife guys say, still with the factory oil on it LOL).

Last edited by 1776 rebel; 07-05-2011 at 04:48 PM.