Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraaash View Post
Isn't that a bit risky ?
It used to seem to be the more risky option, reserved for only those who could not reach either of the stores. However, in recent weeks/months, the picking has been so slim at each store that more people are resorting to mail order. You can still mail order a service grade rifle, you CANNOT find one at the store, not for a while.

If you want a WWII receiver, put a sticky note in with your order. Want GI wood? Throw a sticky note in. The least they'll do it take a quick look at what they have in front of them and try to help you out. They're good guys, and even if you don't get what you stickied, you'll be very pleased with what they pick out for you.

General George S. Patton, in a letter to his son dated June 6th, 1944:
Quote:
"What success I have had results from the fact that I have always been certain that my military reactions were correct. Many people do not agree with me; they are wrong. The unerring jury of history written long after both of us are dead will prove me correct."
Old 01-28-2013, 01:49 PM

Stinks,.. I've been planning for one for a long time and only just now have the funds... Bad timing is the story of my life
Old 01-28-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraaash View Post
Stinks,.. I've been planning for one for a long time and only just now have the funds... Bad timing is the story of my life
Don't get down on yourself! When are you planning on going to the store? I will be there this Saturday a.m.

Quote:
"What success I have had results from the fact that I have always been certain that my military reactions were correct. Many people do not agree with me; they are wrong. The unerring jury of history written long after both of us are dead will prove me correct."
Old 01-28-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8huckins View Post
Don't get down on yourself! When are you planning on going to the store? I will be there this Saturday a.m.
Next first time I can make it is a week from this Wednesday, working Saturdays atm
Old 01-28-2013, 01:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Risky? It all depends how you define risky. If you want a Service Grade there is little risk involved and will get a good shooting rifle. If you have your mind set on a WWII rifle then mail order would be risky but would still be a nice rifle. Don't expect the North Store to be getting much...especially Service Grades...in any quanity soon. Stopped in at the NS on 1-19 looking for another 7.62 Navy B/R and was amazed to see WRA Service Grades in the rack which I believe didn"t last the day. If you live close enough you could always drive there and check the stock or give them a call in the morning...419-635-2141 ext. 1117. While you are there if you can't find "your" rifle then buy some ammo....you will need some sooner or later.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:05 PM

ya, i want to give it at least one look before I mail order, if anyone is going to be there not this wednesday but the next and wouldnt mind helping out a n00b, let me know =)
Old 01-28-2013, 03:25 PM

Mail order question for you guys - most folks seem to want GI wood and a specific serial number. I'd prefer new wood and as high a serial number as possible - just want a good shooting rifle that's seen as little use as possible. If I specify this sort of request for a mail order might it be easier to fill than older number, original wood?
Old 01-28-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromohio View Post
Mail order question for you guys - most folks seem to want GI wood and a specific serial number. I'd prefer new wood and as high a serial number as possible - just want a good shooting rifle that's seen as little use as possible. If I specify this sort of request for a mail order might it be easier to fill than older number, original wood?
If you're within range of the store, go pickup a service grade special before they're all gone. All basically unissued, CORRECT GI metal with new CMP wood. It's the perfect rifle for what you're describing.

You could mail order one as well.

Quote:
Old 01-28-2013, 03:29 PM

I'd mail order a service grade - $400 cheaper than the special. I picked up two over the summer (service grades) and they are beautiful.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:41 PM

Unfortunately, no matter if you order a SG with late number and new wood, and JimBob orders a SG with early number and GI wood, you will save yourself no time and will not get it any quicker. The orders are processed in the order they are received. When JimBob's order comes up, they'll look at the Garands in front of them and pick as close as they can to what he's looking for, and move on. When yours comes up, they'll see what they have on the table right then, choose as best as they can for you, and move on. No time gained even if you request "no preference, first available"

Quote: