Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2018, 11:17 PM

Default Colt HBAR making the MMR weight

In order to use my 8 lb. 12 oz. Colt R6600 HBAR in MMR matches I need to shave 4 oz. from it to meet the 8 lb. 8 oz. limit.

I've researched and calculated that by substituting the following with alternate parts I can meet & beat the weight limit.

1) the standard A2 buffer (5.15 oz.) with a Spikes Tactical T-1 carbine buffer with a A2 spacer (3 oz.), and going with the carbine spring vs. A2 riffle spring should save me a few extra tenths of an oz.

2) replacing the Mil-Spec BCG (~11.5 oz.) with the Voodoo VDI low mass BCG (9.2 oz.)

3) replacing the standard A2 handguards (4.23 oz.) with the WOA handguards w/o heat shields (3.2 oz.)

Might save a couple more tenths with a V-Seven Ti grip screw (0.11 oz.) vs the 0.3 oz standard grip screw.

Aside from leaving the Ti grip screw in, I can swap out the #1. #2 & #3 parts before/after a match that should keep it pretty much stock except when it has to go on slim-fast.

Last edited by Talyn1; 11-29-2018 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:06 AM

Instead of loading a good rifle up with a lot of hinky, nonstandard parts, it would be cheaper, easier, and faster just to swap the barrel:

https://www.jsesurplus.com/20govtpro...ipped-1-1.aspx

The Wylde chambering might even be more accurate.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:16 AM

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...mer-ar-lowers/
Old 11-30-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Nitro Express View Post
Instead of loading a good rifle up with a lot of hinky, nonstandard parts, it would be cheaper, easier, and faster just to swap the barrel:

https://www.jsesurplus.com/20govtpro...ipped-1-1.aspx

The Wylde chambering might even be more accurate.
I don't see how I'm loading up when I'm swapping a handful of common parts out.

I already have used the hinky, non-standard parts (that I already have) in other AR builds and they work fine. And the rules say nothing about swapping out the BCG and buffers, and except for the weight limit it seems that just about any of the guts work. other than an A2/A1 grip that must be retained

It's not cheaper, easier and faster to swap the barrel than the 2 minutes it takes to break the AR open and swap out the BCG, buffer and spring.

And there's the extra cost for a barrel. The HBAR barrel had a very good rep back in the day, plus it's more solid than a A2 profile barrel. And, why would I buy another barrel & swap out the barrel on my 80's HBAR when its not needed ans a collectable?

In a seperate thread here a gent reported someone he saw had an old HBAR that was dramatically stripped down to meet weight with an optic at a MMR match. He reported it shot very well. I don't need to do than to meet weight and would use the A2 sights.

Last edited by Talyn1; 11-30-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9 View Post
Thanks but I'll pass on that option since I wouldn't need it to save weight.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:29 PM

If you go with a lighter buffer and carrier without an adjustable gasblock, probably want a stiffer spring.
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 11-30-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighpowerRifleBrony View Post
If you go with a lighter buffer and carrier without an adjustable gasblock, probably want a stiffer spring.
Absolutely and/or a heavier buffer.

Last edited by Talyn1; 12-02-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:59 PM

I dug through the safe and pulled out an AR that I built a few years ago with an flat-top upper but A2 front end with a standard 1/7 govt. profile 20" barrel, and adjustable stock lower with RRA trigger.

I've got a TA01ACOG on it so I I weighed it and it came out right at 8.5 lbs. to meet the MMR limit, even with the rear BUIS on it. So that will be my MMR AR.

So that being said I guess I'll keep the Colt HBAR as is and "safe" and sound.

One last question, while the 2018 rules state that a SR should have A1/A2 grips, does the MMR class still follow that rule? I didn't see any MMR specific rules in the 2018 Regs unless I missed them.

Thx!
Old 12-02-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn1 View Post
Thanks but I'll pass on that option since I wouldn't need it to save weight.
My bad...thought you were trying to save weight.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9 View Post
My bad...thought you were trying to save weight.
No you're fine. I was just brain-storming on seeing how I may be able to use the old HBAR for MMR, but like I said I have an alternative that I figured out.

I've though about poly AR receivers for other builds but haven't made that yeap yet.

Regards,