Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirupate View Post
Easy...just lift the press ram and adjust the die downward another 1/8th turn.
Or...was that sarcasm....couldn't tell.

Jeff
Yeh what he said
In reality once you get the die down to where it is camming then the adjustment will be very slight.
On my dies and press the difference in shoulder bump can be considerable from light camming to heavy camming.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_VB View Post
Yeh what he said
In reality once you get the die down to where it is camming then the adjustment will be very slight.
On my dies and press the difference in shoulder bump can be considerable from light camming to heavy camming.
When the die body touches the shell holder they are making steel on steel contact with each other. How does the amount of camming you have effect the distance you force the case into the die, you're stopped steel on steel?
Old 03-27-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas34474 View Post
When the die body touches the shell holder they are making steel on steel contact with each other. How does the amount of camming you have effect the distance you force the case into the die, you're stopped steel on steel?
Do you reload????
Old 03-28-2010, 07:40 AM

For about 30 years now. That's why I ask. I've never been able to compress the steel die or the steel shell holder so the I could turn my die 1/8th turn past where the die hit the shell holder. Was just wanting to know how you where able to do it.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas34474 View Post
For about 30 years now. That's why I ask. I've never been able to compress the steel die or the steel shell holder so the I could turn my die 1/8th turn past where the die hit the shell holder. Was just wanting to know how you where able to do it.
Something is compressing. I figure the lips on the shell holder.
It definitely will move the shoulder as far as .003" from a soft cam to hard cam. Yes I know that the second time through the die will move the shoulder more. This is the way I set up for a single pass through the resizer. Of the two calibers I run the precision Mic on, both adjust the same way to get the correct bump. Go figure? Works for me.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:48 PM

Necro time.

I finally dug my Mic out of the box where it had gathered dust for the past few years. The explanation of the headspace part of this thread was welcomed, but the ogive part of the set still is a mystery. Seems very few people use it for such.

THAT SAID...
When I screw the ogive turret on, it is impossible (bad manufacturing?) to align the 0 of the turret with the 0 of the base. Turret turns all the way to -35 before the base mark for 0 is reached. I supposed I could just ignore the actual numbers and count tick marks, right?

The "dummy round" part: Do I extend it all the way, chamber it fully (thereby compressing the bullet end) to the proper to-lands part, then remove it (how to do this without compressing or extending the bullet end?) and tighten it for measuring? My eyes began to cross and then bleed when I attempted to grok the convoluted instructions.

Last edited by Fogtripper; 10-30-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:11 AM
Super Moderator

I've never been able to compress the steel die or the steel shell holder so the I could turn my die 1/8th turn past where the die hit the shell holder.

Everything compresses when a compressive force is applied to it; more compression when more force is applied. Same is true when a stretching (tensile) force is applied; everything stretches.

When resizing a case, some parts of the press stretch and some compress. And some bend. In all cases, the amount is in the few thousandths range. But that is all you need in most cases. If you have a press like a Rockchucker, you have lots of mechanical advantage in the design and it is easy to move the metal. With other designs, it is not so easy.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 10-31-2019, 06:15 AM

The RCBS Precision Mic has been a very useful tool in my workshop. I often use a know good headspace gauge to confirm readings. Being from the " old school" I still believe in using the correct tool for each purpose.

If you are getting to the steel and steel contact and are looking for more setback, Redding makes shell holders of varying depths for that purpose. Works great for my precision ammo when stock shell holders don't get the job done without modification.

RVN 67-68

Last edited by nf1e; 10-31-2019 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:52 AM

Dumb question I know , but- I saw pics of your bench, Art...so I have to ask...
Will these work in my Rockchucker?
Regards,
Mike
Old 10-31-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartem View Post
Dumb question I know , but- I saw pics of your bench, Art...so I have to ask...
Will these work in my Rockchucker?
Regards,
Mike
Yes they do as do Redding dies.
RVN 67-68