Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2016, 09:28 AM

Default South store visit 10/28

On hand, pretty much what has been listed. I did find a nice 5.9 mil field grade with a pretty good stock, C46008-1 hammer with tooling hole, -6 op rod rounded - uncut. Stock has SA SHM cart. There was one with a lock bar sight. I was surprised to find that you can only buy one rifle of each type or I would have bought it. I chose the one I bought because of a better stock, barrel, and parts. I did purchase one GI stock drill rifle for parts. very good stock and almost new parts. There have been other changes I did not know about - especially that you have to pay the local 10% sales tax unless you are leaving via airplane. I was also told that they no longer ship purchases from the store. For those that have not been there - the new store - once you enter the door (you no longer have to sign in) there is a desk/counter at the right of a narrow room with the lady that processes the paperwork. On the left is one long rack holding the rifles. Further along on the right is the counter with two workers where you can examine rifles and turn them in for purchase. You MAY NOT take pictures. I tried. If you buy any ammo you have to drive around to the freight dock to pick it up. I will not be going back again unless something changes. It is not worth a five hour drive and a motel bill to "perhaps" purchase one rifle and pay $63.00 in sales tax.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:49 AM

I know its been discussed but I am still puzzled and have not read how the sales tax does not equal the shipping charges. If shipping charges are included then if you pick up, why aren't they removed?

It should be like an F6 button to hit to remove shipping, F7 include sales tax.

Its a simple code rewrite. Or override on the system?
Old 10-30-2016, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Exclamation

Well, the tax and shipping issue has been discussed at quite some length for over 2 weeks here in a few different threads, including in this same South Store section:
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=198742

Not to mention the last several south store reports by Mr. Taylor have made note of it, as well as the layout of the new store (many thanks to him for the time/effort in making those detailed reports!).

Additionally, discussed in the Garand section in a couple different threads, as well as in the Ask CMP section:
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=198747

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Old 10-30-2016, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimar_police View Post
I know its been discussed but I am still puzzled and have not read how the sales tax does not equal the shipping charges. If shipping charges are included then if you pick up, why aren't they removed?

It should be like an F6 button to hit to remove shipping, F7 include sales tax.

Its a simple code rewrite. Or override on the system?
Ed,
That is an outstanding question and deserves to be answered! Maybe with enough emails it will...

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Old 10-30-2016, 10:12 AM

Unfortunately, silence on this issue speaks volumes.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:14 AM

[QUOTE=americal71;1532268]On hand, pretty much what has been listed. I did find a nice 5.9 mil field grade with a pretty good stock, C46008-1 hammer with tooling hole, -6 op rod rounded - uncut. Stock has SA SHM cart. There was one with a lock bar sight. I was surprised to find that you can only buy one rifle of each type or I would have bought it. I chose the one I bought because of a better stock, barrel, and parts. I did purchase one GI stock drill rifle for parts. very good stock and almost new parts. There have been other changes I did not know about - especially that you have to pay the local 10% sales tax unless you are leaving via airplane. I was also told that they no longer ship purchases from the store. For those that have not been there - the new store - once you enter the door (you no longer have to sign in) there is a desk/counter at the right of a narrow room with the lady that processes the paperwork. On the left is one long rack holding the rifles. Further along on the right is the counter with two workers where you can examine rifles and turn them in for purchase. You MAY NOT take pictures. I tried. If you buy any ammo you have to drive around to the freight dock to pick it up. I will not be going back again unless something changes. It is not worth a five hour drive and a motel bill to "perhaps" purchase one rifle and pay $63.00 in sales tax.[/QUOTE]

X1
Old 10-30-2016, 10:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by americal71 View Post
I was also told that they no longer ship purchases from the store.
Is that for ALL purchases or just the rifles?
Thought that other items could be shipped, just not rifles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
Revising earlier post to update as I found out that this does apply to BOTH stores!
And it is for rifles...other items purchased in store can still be shipped.
Ok, another thought....LOL
If they don't/won't ship ammo do you still get the 5% discount for taking it with you?....As Mark stated for in store pick-up.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....65#post1217465

Last edited by Shomway; 10-30-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:33 PM

Is that one per day, one per weekend, one per what? As get one Thursday, stay over night and get one Friday? Not worth the trip for one for me.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:03 PM

What reason is there that no pictures can be taken????
Old 10-30-2016, 04:20 PM

Default Answers

I managed to locate some people in the area I knew when I was assigned at Anniston depot. When the shop was moved - apparently the city of Anniston decided this was an opportunity to collect the money they thought they had coming. If it is a sale in their area and the items are not shipped it is just as if you bought a hamburger in Anniston - You Pay sales tax. Yes everything - ammo, slings, etc cannot be shipped - you must take them with you - therefor you are taxed! If you order on-line or by mail items can be shipped and the only sales tax that will be collected is the State 4% those of us who live in Alabama. Upon questioning the personnel there there is no shipping charge on any item. Defacto price increase?? On the positive side I did hear that they had located another 80,000 rifles they were trying to get! I still do not think it is worth my time to drive to Anniston and pay $693 for a field grade rifle - if there are any. Incidently I test fired the FG I purchased today and it shoots a 1.25 group at 50 yards with HXP. Non of the personnel seemed to be very happy - but were as helpful and nice as always!

Last edited by Big_Red; 10-31-2016 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Wrong info about taking photos