Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2019, 04:54 PM

Default Current CMP Garands

I have a couple of Garands. Both of them are shooters and neither has "GI" wood. I have used them in matches over the years.

With the recent influx of Garands to the CMP, I am kicking around the idea of ordering another one. Wanting a service grade having good numbers, good finish, and GI wood.

What are the odds of getting this? Is the CMP selling from this new return of Garands right now, or is that in the future?
Old 12-13-2019, 06:39 PM

Order a service grade but expect it will come with CMP wood. Dupage Trading has USGI stock sets right now for $100. Buy one of those and sell the CMP wood for about the same or a little more money. Done.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:16 PM

Also do not expect Garands of years past.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:19 PM

Iíd recommending putting up a WTB on this forum. Youíll know exactly what you are getting. Youíll pay a bit more than to the CMP, but itís probably worth it if you wonít like to gamble.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:49 PM

Luck of the draw is just that, but last year, when they were in full swing with the Philippine returns, I purchased 2 SGs. They both came with fairly nice USGI stocks. One was a SA/JLC stock and the other did not have cartouche on it, but it did have a small cross cannons on the bottom of the pistol grip along with a serif circle P.

I have heard that the stocks were in bad shape and I am sure many are, but I have seen some very nice pictures USGI stocks lately.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:28 PM

I got all 8 rifles for this year and I think two came with Post war GI Stocks on them. The other 6 were CMP stocks. I geuss most of the stocks on the Phillipine rifles were termite infested and were no good.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:11 PM

I only ordered one rifle this year, a field grade, and it came with a very nice unmarked USGI stock. You just never know what youíll get. Hope for the worst and you wonít be disappointed.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:54 AM

I ordered 4 FG's this year and got very decent rifles with good barrels and GI wood. All the wood was very filthy and had round marks from the rear sights pressing into the wood from being piled in a crate. One looked like it had polka dots all over it. I did get a nice EMF large wheel. The others were unmarked and all cleaned up well. Guess I got lucky.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:22 AM

This past August, I purchased several SGs that I suspect were returns from the Philippines. Both were filthy and the metal and wood were well-worn. The ME and TE were within the SG criteria.

I've purchased a fair number of SGs and a few FGs from CMP and I was very surprised that these were graded as SGs since they were more like the lower end of FG.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det. Jason 714 View Post
Also do not expect Garands of years past.
Even the current service grades will have some surface rust and (likely) low percentage of finish. This is based on my South Store visit in October as I was returning home from Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeroub View Post
Iíd recommending putting up a WTB on this forum. Youíll know exactly what you are getting. Youíll pay a bit more than to the CMP, but itís probably worth it if you wonít like to gamble.
There are many Garand enthusiasts (myself included) who have a few high-end shooters with GI wood and who are downsizing their collections. Figure on $1000 for a SA/HRA high-end high-accuracy service grade and $1200+ for the same in Winchester.