Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2019, 04:45 PM

Default Winchester 52C

I got a couple question for you experts out there. I plan on picking up a very nice excellent shape Winchester 52C (Commercial Version) with a 20x Unertl in excellent like new shape. It does come with peep sights. The front is Olympic globe and the rear sight I am unable to remember because it was wrapped up in bubble wrap, but was long in appearance. I don’t think it’s an International/Olympic/Palma sight.

I was able to inspect the rifle from the LGS owner for about 20 mins. The rifle is from an estate sale he is doing. Looks like it was shot minimally. I seen a couple of nicks on the stock and there were several fine scratches on top the barrel right below the scope as if the previous owner had a ring on while adjusting the scope and in turn scratching it. Other than that it’s the best one I have seen in person.

I was not allowed to take pics of the rifle per the request of the LGS Owner or I would have posted them to show the condition. I would rate it like 98%, if it was not for the scratches it looks near new. Finish for both looks like it almost left the factory yesterday. They were definitely safe queens. I don’t believe there are any additional items for this rifle.

Question 1:what are the correct sights that Winchester offered for the 52C?
Question 2: the price for the rifle and Unertl 20X is $2K for me and I believe it is very fair...thoughts?

Last edited by gaterbaitii; 07-28-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:06 PM

I bought one at a local gun show about five years ago in nice shape with a 20x Redfield 3200 scope. I paid $1100 and thought that was a pretty good price. It did not come with iron sit sights. I figure today the rifle is worth about 900 and the Unertl about 750 and the iron sights another 300 so you are definitely in the ballpark for my area.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:29 PM

Win 52's had lots of options on the sights.
It is hard to say what would be considered "normal".

Without pictures it is hard to give a fair assessment on the value. The scope needs to be considered separately.

I don't think I would pay that much, I would consider a 52D with the Improved Micro-Motion trigger more worthwhile, or a 52E.

To be honest, I'm not looking at Win 52s anyway. I already have a 52B and and early 52D with the older trigger. I shot DCM 52D's in college with old Micro-Motion, new Micro-Motion, and Canjar replacement triggers. There were a few Kenyon triggers being bought when I had to leave school.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:54 PM

I agree on the trigger from what I’ve read on the 52D. I’ve yet to find an excellent example Without an absurd price (GB). I have a 52B as well in good to very good condition. Excellent shooter.

From what I’ve seen on GB on 52C’s this one is a steal. The condition is “almost” comparable to my new M12 or barely used Kimber 82G. I’ve never came across one this clean of condition. When I get it I’ll post some pics as it always tell the story.

The sights I think is Vaver or Marbles from looking on google. I didn’t have much time to look at the sights as I was more drooling at the condition of the rifle and scope.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:45 AM

Did you see this one?,..http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...#post-37545686
Old 07-28-2019, 05:11 PM

I updated question 2....the $2K price is for both the rifle and Unertl scope

I can see where one could read $2K for the rifle only....I would pass on that lol
Old 07-29-2019, 08:47 PM

Well I got it today and very pleased so far. The rifle and Unertl Programmer are in exceptional condition. There were a few more scratches than I thought on the stock. I think the owner may have put a coat of BLO on the stock possibly. Some areas are starting to thin. I looked at all the screws and look to be untouched. I think the bolt rarely came out since there is only tiny scratch on the stock. Overall, the rifle seemed to be used minimally.

I was looking at the sights and I’m not sure if the rear sights are for this 52. For some reason I thought they were longer. Thoughts what the larger rear sight model is and if it’s correct?

http://imgur.com/a/zeDzlkL

Last edited by gaterbaitii; 07-29-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:12 AM

Front sight is a Redfield Olympic, GI version.

Rear sight looks to be from a Remington 37.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:22 AM

Your right after searching the internet. I wonder if they gave me the wrong sights since there were 120+ rifles in this estate sale.

No biggie. I’ll keep them in case I get a 37 in the future
Old 07-30-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaterbaitii View Post
Your right after searching the internet. I wonder if they gave me the wrong sights since there were 120+ rifles in this estate sale.

No biggie. Iíll keep them in case I get a 37 in the future
Looking again, you have a Remington 37 rear sight and part of a Lyman rear sight.