Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2020, 03:55 PM

Default M1 Ejecting live round with handloads

Hi All,

I've been having a seemingly random issue where my M1 (SA 43, special grade) ejects a live round and then fails to put another round into battery. I looked around before I posted and the whole clip isn't being ejected like some others posted about.

This happens only with hand loads (Speer 165gr SPBT over 46gr IMR4895 CCI #250 magnum rifle primer or hornaday FMJ BT 150gr) Hand loaded cartridges are trimmed, resized to spec and pass the case gauge check. Bullets seated to manufacturer's spec, COAL around 3.3 depending on the SP tip. The ejected round has a scrape mark all the way down the bullet and cartridge and the tip is mangled.

There are no dents in the neck of any case I reload, but some cases have a little mangled brass ejection marks though. This doesn't happen often and I haven't had it happen with commercial (PPU M1) ammo- although I haven't shot commercial ammo in a few months.

So my question- issue with the hand loads or a part I need to replace? Your input is greatly appreciated! As far as I know these loads are well within published load data with this bullet weight.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:37 PM

Check your op rod spring length first --- then check the follower and bullet guide for binding/out of specs
Old 02-03-2020, 05:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Any chance that your SP's are causing some of your problems?...since you have no problem with PPU.
Years ago when I first got my M1A I was using SP ammo and noticed the same deformed tip. Never used any tipped ammo since....
Old 02-03-2020, 06:20 PM

Update: Did a field strip and cleaned a lot of residue off the parts, regreased the necessary parts/oprod spring with a thin layer of Mobil 1 synthetic.

Notes from the strip

Oprod had no visible issues or cracks, as far as I can tell its within spec
Oprod spring is 19.8 inches uncompressed. Don't have a special gauge to check with tension/compression loads but there are no obvious issues with it
Bullet guide, follower arm, follower rod all measured within spec. Didn't measure the angle of the follower arm but it looks alright
Oprod catch, clip latch, follower are all fine. Normal wearing on the parkerization, all the measurable parts were in spec.
oprod, bolt, and receiver passed the "tilt test"
And I do not have a GO/NO GO gauge but I don't think that's an issue here.

Putting this update if anyone is wondering if parts are out of spec. I think everything is in spec. I will update this thread if I have the same issue in the future, but any and all suggestions are welcome!
Old 02-07-2020, 04:48 PM

There are people that disagree with me on this but I contend that the best thing you can do for a military surplus rifle is change ALL of the springs! They are cheap and will make a world of difference on the way the rifle shoots. I have built several FN FALs and I always put a new spring kit in the gun.

We have no way of knowing how many times the gun has been shot or when the last time the springs were changed. Springs fatigue with use.

I do not know if this will help or cure your problem but for 30.00 bucks what do you have to lose? And, you will learn more aobut how to detail strip the various groups.

Here is one vendor that sell the spring kit. The hardest spring to change is the ejector spring.

http://www.m1garand.com/store/m1_garand_spring_kit.html
Old 02-19-2020, 11:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBadger View Post
Update: Did a field strip and cleaned a lot of residue off the parts, regreased the necessary parts/oprod spring with a thin layer of Mobil 1 synthetic.

Notes from the strip

Oprod had no visible issues or cracks, as far as I can tell its within spec
Oprod spring is 19.8 inches uncompressed. Don't have a special gauge to check with tension/compression loads but there are no obvious issues with it
Bullet guide, follower arm, follower rod all measured within spec. Didn't measure the angle of the follower arm but it looks alright
Oprod catch, clip latch, follower are all fine. Normal wearing on the parkerization, all the measurable parts were in spec.
oprod, bolt, and receiver passed the "tilt test"
And I do not have a GO/NO GO gauge but I don't think that's an issue here.

Putting this update if anyone is wondering if parts are out of spec. I think everything is in spec. I will update this thread if I have the same issue in the future, but any and all suggestions are welcome!
One thing you might want to do is replace the oprod spring(cheap enough) as 19.8 is approaching the min. length of 19 3/4......
Suggest Qrion7 as a source for the spring.
http://www.m1garand.com/store/m1_gar...od_spring.html
Old 02-19-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
One thing you might want to do is replace the oprod spring(cheap enough) as 19.8 is approaching the min. length of 19 3/4......
Suggest Qrion7 as a source for the spring.
http://www.m1garand.com/store/m1_gar...od_spring.html
I agree. A lot of the springs we see are 75+ years old so it's reasonable to assume they are not up to snuff. Every new to me Garand I obtain and plan to shoot gets cleaned, thoroughly inspected, parts are confirmed to be in spec, headspace is checked, plenty of grease in the right places and it receives a new op rod spring. I rarely have a cycling failure.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:40 PM

Appreciate the follow up everyone. I have installed a new orion oprod spring and there have been no issues with cycling, feeding, function or locking. I also noticed a lot of my cases had significant extractor marks so I have taken a file to many of them to remove the little notch. The problem seems to be gone at the moment, but if it persists then I will begin to swap out parts and not just springs. I also switched to normal CCI #200 primers and re-worked up a load, but I'm not sure that made a difference.