Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2010, 09:50 AM

Red face New and ready to get my Garand!

Hi everyone, I am new to the CMP and boards. I think I have everything in order to go to the SS soon and pick me out 1 or two Garands or a Garand and Carbine! I am a history buff, and thinking I want to find something pre-or during the WWII era to start off my collection. I have surfed the boards, and learned alot, but only enough to be dangerous. My enthusiasm for obtaining my first Garand is a newly aquired desire, but I am already hooked and don't have the first one yet! I am in a dead panic that there wont b anything left when I get there in the next two weeks, but realize this fear is probably misplaced! I so excited about getting my first one, I am like a kid with my money burning a hole in my pocket! any sugegestions for a newcomming who is looking for the WWII and doesnt frequent the range often?
Old 01-21-2010, 10:12 AM

CC, welcome.

Don't panic, still plenty Garands.
Should still have a good shot at a WWII s/n, just what grade and what will you settle on.

And any Bavarin Carbine, is full of WWII history, and there is still some of them around.
As well as rackers mail order, and in the stores.... but carbines are going quick.
I would set my site on the carbine 1st, since before this lot of carbines, it's been a long hard dry spell of no carbines.

There's lots more Garands on the way, in the pipe and other sources if you can't find just what your looking for.

The CMP stores are way too far of a trip for me. And as, you, wanting a WWII s/n for my 1st garand, my 1st garand wasn't a luck of the draw mail order CMP, but I went to Orion 7 so I could hand select (local for me).

Enjoy the trip to the store, and let us know how you did, Pictures !!!
Old 01-21-2010, 01:26 PM

Forgot to mention, I am in SE Tennessee, so only about 2 hours from south store! I am hoping to have the cash to buy a rack or service carbine (WWII era) and a field or service grade Garand (WWII era) during the same vist. Do the stores usually have only what the website lists, or is it possible to come away with a Win or HRA? And I also read there are/will be no more RG riffles. Is that already in effect, or is it only comming down the pipe?
Old 01-21-2010, 01:48 PM

Ah, nice... wish I was...

Not sure what you mean by "WWII era" when speaking about a Carbine...
All the carbines were made for or during WWII, and anything you get from the CMP will have been used at least for WWII.
Just when and how many times refurbished.

If you mean features... sights, band, safety...
To find one with all early features, you'll have to either get lucky with a Bavarian that will have most (flipper and no bayolug), or look elsewhere.

If they find a few of each, say winnies or HRAs, and not enough to make an offering for mail order, they wont show up on the website, just at the store.

Incase you weren't aware and how I understand it...
HRA's are not WWII era.
Winnies are just harder to find.
Best luck getting a good shooter and WWII s/n is with a SA, and a barrel from WWII, more so a Field grade SA.

And again, how I understand it...
More RG won't happen, if they do again, till later....
And if there is just a few of them, the website wont have them, just the stores.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:00 PM

Wish I was that close too. I am 28 hours of straight thru driving to get the the north store from Utah. The only good news is the directions are simple. Get on I-80, drive east 1700 miles.

My grandparents live about 350 miles west in IL. I feel a side trip coming the next time I visit them.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:17 PM

Welcome To The Forum!
Old 01-23-2010, 05:12 PM

Default I am now a proud Garand owner!

Finnally got to go to the SS and I must say, I was impressed! I looked from 8am - 11am before I finally decided on the one that would come home with me. There where plenty of field grade WRA, SA, and HRA, and they had quite a few Service Special grade for $799 with all maching. These where very tempting, but I wanted my first to have some character, and history so I went with a FG SA SN# 1656xxx. I think that puts this one around late "42"/"43" DOM. Barrell checked at 2.5 with clean clear riffling, and 4 at breach. Close but still very good I think for a FG. Has DOD cartouche and circle R on wood. CMP folks where extremely nice and helpfull thank to all of you! I did find one SA that was a 6 digit, and a Special Grade that was a 75xxx (5 number!) Very very tempting, and probably should have gotten it, but was a mixmaster Special. I got mine home and stripped it for cleaning and to my shock, receiver is SA, Barrel is SA (though not origional I dont think), Op rod is SA, Bolt is SA, trigger group is SA! I am not sure about the sights or what else to look at. And it also IMO has 50-60% parckarising. Any advice on other things to check would be great. I am thrilled with my purchase, and cant wait for the next! Thanks again to the CMP staff you all made this a great experience!