Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2017, 10:21 PM

Default Yugo 7.62x39 ammo

I bought a pile of Yugo 7.62x39 ammo. Really nice stuff, marked MK 1976. Any idea is corrosive or non-corrosive? Comes on nice 10 round stripper clips. Everything looks top notch. Thanks guys.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:18 PM

Yeah, I suspected as much. Thank you.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:25 AM

Should be a backwards "N"K for Igman, Bosnia and certainly Corrosive.

Last edited by Ammolab; 12-19-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:27 PM

Originally would have come in individual boxes inside a lead lined wooden crate.Shoots exceptionally well for milsurp ammo.Definately corrosive, don't forget to clean your gas tube and piston also.Guess how I found that out .
Old 12-19-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1MAN View Post
Everything I am seeing indicates it is either corrosive or mildly corrosive ammunition.
Corrosive is an all or nothing designation.
A little rust versus what?

No issues with corrosive as long as you understand the cleaning regimen; I shoot plenty of it.
But it's either corrosive or not. If corrosive, neutralize the corrosive salts. Completely.
JH
Old 12-19-2017, 10:58 PM

Mildly corrosive is sorta like "Somewhat Pregnant" and "Half Dead". Either it is or it isn't.

I have a fairly large stash of 7.62x39 which includes a lot of the Chinese steel core/steel case (both corrosive and non-corrosive), East German steel core/steel case (corrosive), Yugo lead core/brass case (corrosive) and Norinco lead core/steel case (non-corrosive).
The only ammo that I've fired so far is about 3000 rounds of the Chinese and East German steel core. There's no problem firing corrosive ammo as long as you clean accordingly and use the proper solvent. I use the WWII USGI bore cleaner.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138

Last edited by sigman2; 12-19-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:47 PM

I wouldn't even consider using this ammo, as your firearm will instantly start to dissolve. It's best that you give it away, and save your rifle. I'll PM you with my address, as I can dispose of it properly for you.
Seriously, simply clean your rifle thoroughly after you've fired it, and enjoy shooting every single round of it!
Old 12-22-2017, 05:53 PM

Always treat any Com-Bloc or Mid-East ammo as corrosive. Proper cleaning always starts another war. Some say old USGI solvent , some say only hot water dissolves the corrosive residue. Some say anything ammonia based. I've used Sweets 7.62 solvent as it was supposedly formulated for corrosive primers , and anyone within 50ft when ya open the bottle knows it's ammonia based. I run a mop wetted with Sweet's thru the bore before I leave the range. Anything without a chrome-lined bore gets HOT soapy water. Just like I clean my muzzleloaders.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:12 PM

It's Berdan primed and that alone is a good indicator of corrosive ammo.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
But it's either corrosive or not. If corrosive, neutralize the corrosive salts. Completely.
JH
"neutralize the corrosive salts"
add that to the list with "mildly corrosive".