Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2021, 12:24 PM

Default If you Have Purchased a Bolt Action From CMP Lately....

I suggest that you disassemble the rifle to see what must be cleaned/de-rusted/conditioned.

PLEASE NOTE: This is NOT a complaint - just an advisory. I believe that my "new" rifle can be cleaned and restored; hopefully without having to replace parts.

On 23 Dec 2020 I purchased an M1903A3 from the TMP.

When I looked at the rifle at the TMP, it looked at least close to correct - all correct stampings from what I could see without disassembly. The rifle was a Service Grade with a Bright Bore, so I paid $770 plus 7% tax, or $867 (or so). The exterior of the rifle looked good, although the stock needed a little cleanup.

After I got it to the house, I decided to clean up the stock - to rid the rifle of some of the grime it had accumulated over the years. The best way to do this was to first disassemble the rifle. That would also allow me to verify other parts markings.

GOOD NEWS: Every marked part was stamped "R" for Remington. The stock markings are also correct. This appears to my less than educated eyes to be a correct rifle.

EDIT: It was pointed out (Thank you!) that the trigger guard is Smith Corona - so it is obviously not correct. But that is an easy fix, and it also reminds me to get the books out to make a data sheet rather than to just look at markings.

NOT SO GOOD NEWS: To my surprise and chagrin I found out that the metal under the wood had significant rust - mostly apparently surface, but some heavy. Accordingly my next step is to clean off as much of the rust as I can, and to treat the metal to try to prevent further deterioration.

PICTURES:

Rifle and Markings:

Last edited by steelap; 01-13-2021 at 05:45 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:42 PM

Default Under the Wood - Post Continues

BUT THEN, THE RUST:

This rifle can be cleaned up, I believe - and I hope that I can restore it without having to replace any parts.

Overall I am still very pleased with the rifle - but want others to see what may be lurking under the wood of their newly purchased bolt guns.

Last edited by steelap; 01-10-2021 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:49 PM

I see considerable evidence of rusting on the exterior metal surfaces. That rifle was wet for a while and no suprise that there is rust under the wood. If the bore is good, the damage is cosmetic so it can still be a good rifle....but not a great one. Good Shooting. ....
Old 01-10-2021, 01:17 PM

Similar story when I went to the North Store back in November and picked up one of each 1903 and 1903A3 Remington Field Grades. The 1903 was lousy with cosmoline under the furniture and had a very nice barrel while the A3 was bone dry with light rust under the furniture and the dirty bore turned out to be pitted with somewhat heavy pitting of the chamber. On inspection at the store though the exterior of the A3 didn't give any signs of rust. Went back up a couple weeks later with my son and got him what turned out to be a largely correct early Remington 1903 with nice metal and well used wood, but again an very nice bore bore.

It's slim pickings at this point with the 03's so I guess it's the risk we take to grab a piece of history...
Old 01-10-2021, 11:23 PM

Just an FYI - the trigger guard is from a Smith Corona .
Old 01-11-2021, 07:16 AM

Please look at the Mark Novak Anvil/C &R videos on conservation and rust removal. If I’m preaching to the choir I apologize but many guys go straight to steel wool for rust removal and what is taken off can’t be put back!

https://youtu.be/rShG_F85W1Y

Basically the rust on some parts can be neutralized and then “carded” off or returned into the finish without harming the rest of the finish.

My feedback thread
Old 01-11-2021, 10:41 AM

Were those sold as service grades, field grades or rack grades?
Old 01-11-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTurn View Post
Were those sold as service grades, field grades or rack grades?
They are not sold using those grades.
https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=257387

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 01-11-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelap View Post
I suggest that you disassemble the rifle to see what must be cleaned/de-rusted/conditioned.
This is a given for any firearm purchased through CMP.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:14 AM

WOW..... that is a lot of RUST!!!! Hope it cleans up for you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelap View Post
BUT THEN, THE RUST:

This rifle can be cleaned up, I believe - and I hope that I can restore it without having to replace any parts.

Overall I am still very pleased with the rifle - but want others to see what may be lurking under the wood of their newly purchased bolt guns.