Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2018, 07:49 AM

Default AMC Class Update

I want you to know that I got in the class this year because of a late cancellation. I asked to be put on the list in case there was a late cancellation because I own my own business and can leave as I choose. So if you call there could be a good chance that you still might be able to get into the class this year. The last time I talked to them they told me April had some openings.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterbore View Post
There was a question posted on ARFCOM that you can likely answer... or someone can answer!

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_6/48...nd-choice.html

In there the poster said they could choose Field Grade or CMP Special.

Can you verify just what your options are and is the difference in used wood vs new, 30-06 vs 7.62, or anything else? I am really curious and I am not sure that the OP ever got advice that applies. Both options involve a new barrel, right?

Thanks!
I attended the class in June 2015. We only had SA receivers and the criterion barrels were only chambered in 30/06. We were told because each bench has a complete set of tools it wasn't practical to offer barrels in one caliber and 30/06 was choosen. Our class ended on a Thursday. My buddy and i went to Talladega and shot our rifles at the one hundred yard range. At the time the range just opened. My friend had a problem with his rifle. It would only fire one round and the operating handle had to be manually. We returned to Anniston and Friday morning we returned to the classroom. After triubleshooting the lead instructor found the hammer was worn to the point it wouldn't lift the bolt.

It is a great class and i recommend it for anyone who wants to learn about the M1. Just in case you want to buy another M1 or other goodies, the South Store is opened on a day it's normally closed. No lines and the service was great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb36 View Post
I want you to know that I got in the class this year because of a late cancellation. I asked to be put on the list in case there was a late cancellation because I own my own business and can leave as I choose. So if you call there could be a good chance that you still might be able to get into the class this year. The last time I talked to them they told me April had some openings.
I put myself on the wait list a month ago, and I received an e-mail yesterday from Jeremy that I was next on the list and I'm going to the May 15th class!

I'm pretty stoked. My wife, not so much.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:06 PM

Think in advance of what type of receiver you want. All will be SA. Me, I didn't think in advance, I just wanted a good heel stamp, so I could read the #s, and maybe sequence I could remember. But your choices might include:

4, 5, or 6 digit SN
WWII era
Korean War vintage
5.8 million - the last batch

Some would seek a certain month/year. It's all good, they're all good, no regrets on my choice.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout706 View Post
Think in advance of what type of receiver you want. All will be SA. Me, I didn't think in advance, I just wanted a good heel stamp, so I could read the #s, and maybe sequence I could remember. But your choices might include:

4, 5, or 6 digit SN
WWII era
Korean War vintage
5.8 million - the last batch

Some would seek a certain month/year. It's all good, they're all good, no regrets on my choice.
My initial thought is not to be too concerned about finding a collectible receiver vice building a really good shooter. I think I'll be most concerned about the barrel quality. I don't really care about it being a mixmaster. I've decided that all the rifles I buy at this point should be something I'm willing to shoot every time I go to the range.

When I have more cash lying around I'll go after the collectibles.

But I suppose, after attending this class, it's more fun to find a good receiver for sale in the forums, then work on building your own correct grade.

It seems that is exactly what many of you do. Sounds like fun, and I can't wait to get started on one!
Old 06-12-2018, 09:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb36 View Post
When I was in the class we also had late Cancelations and they would accept someone had they called and asked if there was openings one guy did get in that way in our class
Old 06-12-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smal View Post
When I was in the class we also had late Cancelations and they would accept someone had they called and asked if there was openings one guy did get in that way in our class
We ended up having four people in my buddy class who got in due to late cancellations.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout706 View Post
Think in advance of what type of receiver you want. All will be SA.
Btw, I ended up getting a flawless 6-digit SA receiver, and by chance I was able to match the correct bolt, trigger housing, hammer, safety, and op rod.

Overall it was pretty cool. The rifle I built is going to be my main shooter. It fired very accurately at Talledega. Only thing I need to do is replace all the springs with Orion 7 springs to fix some feeding issues.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:56 AM
Banned

I was able to build a correct rifle from the parts offered a six-digit also there was a 5 Digit receiver there but it had lots of pitting below the wood line so I passed on it, Great class if your thinking about taking it and did not get picked call the custom shop a few days before a class starts and see if there are any openings they could not fill you might get lucky