Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2018, 06:26 PM

Default My MM AR build.

Hello everyone, I'm new to the CMP forum and new to the CMP in general. I've spent the last few months doing some research on the Modern Military games. As I'm sure your all aware, the rules are pretty vague. But I want to try the MM first so I can work on my fundamentals before moving up to SR.

The rifle I'm planning on using is a pretty standard Palmetto mid length 16" HBAR. So I know the HBAR is a no go. So my plan is to pick up the best M4/lightweight 16" barrel I can find to replace my factory Palmetto HBAR. My picks are between the Spikes CHF 1:7 FN mid length barrel or the Daniel Defense CHF 1:7 mid length. I am looking at the CHF barrels for endurance and accuracy. Hoping to wring whatever accuracy I can out of a smaller profile 16" barrel. I am looking at 1:7 twist so I can stabilize the 73ELD, 75Amax and 77MK I'll be shooting. From my understanding as long as the ammo is safe, not AP/API/etc then it's good to go? I hope that is the case.

My questions are, has anyone ever been DQ'd for a mid length at a MM match? I want to stick with the mid length as I am planning on running irons, for its longer sight radius. I know that may seem crazy to some. But I want to use irons so I can effectively compete later in M1A and Garand classes, when I eventually can afford those rifles. Plus I feel it's important personally. I'll also have an A4 upper set up for optics with my Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x mounted. I've even thought of a dissipator set up to maximize sight radius while keeping weight down with the lighter 16" barrel under the HGs.
My second question is going to be the trigger. I want to try to play it safe as possible and would prefer a tuned mil-spec trigger similar to the Geiselle SSA. But my fear is it won't lift a 4.5lb weight with its 2.5lb 1st stage and 2lb 2nd stage. I know in SR a 2 stage trigger is good to go as long as the combined weight equate to 4.5lb, but not in MM. I've thought of getting stones and modding a mil spec trigger myself. I've done it before, but only to get a better/cleaner pull I've never done it with a specific weight goal and that changes things. I have looked at POFs 4.5lb single stage unit. It is a housing trigger though and one look at the trigger pad will give it away. But I would hate to go in with a standard, unmodified, extra heavy, extra creepy mil spec trigger. I've read that I would likely be the only one to show up with a mil spec trigger if I did. I'm just looking for any info on a good set up.

As stated I'm just looking for suggestions. I know there are no good answers as the rules are so vague. Plus it's hard to say what the person checking rifles may DQ you for or how well they are versed or understand/interpret these fairly loose guidelines. My final question is more of an invitation. If any of you would be willing to share what you shoot in MM games? I'm interested to see what everyone is running and any details you wish to share? Whether it be AR, AK, SKS, FAL, etc. MM will be my first step on my way to SR so I'm just hoping to get a lay of the land. I'll also say that I wont come back crying if I get DQ'd using anything suggested here. I'm a good sport and I know how it goes.

Thanks for reading.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:32 PM

OK: Your 16 inch heavy barrel is not "out". That is what I am using.....it helps with sling tension issues and depending on other componets, you can stay under the weight limit.. You are shooting MM at no more than 200 yards, so heavy bullets are not needed. The 52 and 53gr match bullets are the best and any 7 to 9" twist will work. I think any barrel length under 20" would be legal, but you need to make the weight.... All the 16" barrels I have used were plenty accurate....but sling tension warps the light ones. The scope: yes, it seems crazy not to use one. You are (I guess) trying to do well in this match....modern military. I did shoot cleans with my first M4(A2s) in prone but went to a scope as soon as CMP changed the rule. I'm using a 4X Leupold M8 compact. Except for silly mistakes, MM comes down to the offhand. Enough said. Two stage match triggers are legal for MM. They check the weight...nothing else. But....your last paragraph is right on. I would be uncomfortable with a "housing" trigger. I use the lowers right off NM SR rifles (without the lead weight), mostly RR two stage or (ouch) Bushmasters. Currently using a non float handguard.... see your last paragraph again. I just don't know what to expect at inspections, but I know I'm legal with mine. Good Shooting. ...
Old 04-11-2018, 10:28 PM

Thanks very much ceresco, that's exactly the info I was looking for. I've been practicing standing/off hand with the PSA AR mentioned above. I'm pretty happy so far with it's capability being one of the lower end Freedom models. I have some nicer rifles I may swap some things around. Shooting standing at 200yds is quite a challenge through irons. I was at least able to keep all shots on target and it was the first time I've ever shot standing at 200yds off hand with irons. I've never shot irons past 50yds before, I know it doesn't sound like much to pros here but I was so excited that I hit the 200yd target every shot my first try that it gave me the drive and desire to keep doing it, I really enjoyed it. That's great that the 52gr is a good bullet I have some 52gr match bullets tucked away I'll load them up. A state trooper was kind enough to leave me a big pile of LC 15 brass at the range today. I was shooting Norma 55gr and it did decent.

Those old Leupold M8s were some of my very favorite scopes growing up. I remember when my dad bought his first one, it was his first Leupold. Unfortunately that scope was sold long ago on a pre64 model 70 I would love to have them both back. But those are great scopes and they can be had for a great price nowadays especially since "tactical" is all the rage.

I guess all my dry firing practice and time on the pellet rifle is paying off as I'm starting to remember my breathing, front post focus, trigger control, grip and stances a lot better. At first it was a bit awkward, but as I keep practicing it's starting to become very natural and my off hand is feeling much more solid the more I practice it.

Thanks again for your help, I can't wait to shoot again now. The weather is just getting bearable here in WV.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:08 AM

If you are interested in upping your game consider looking for a local Appleseed clinic. Itís a lot like a CMP clinic except the CMP clinic is about 4hrs and you shoot 1 match. Appleseed is two days and you shoot a lot more with shooting coaches watching your form.

I have never shot a carbine in a match but darn it sounds like fun! I have a RRA Midlength with a TA31F ACOG that shoots quite well but I always shoot my monster lead bearing WOA NM gun.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:52 PM

It is a blast. I am in the process of building a SR also. Still lacking a few items, free float, A2 stock, lead weights. I can't wait to get it put together and try it out. But in the meantime I've been shooting the carbine to get some trigger time in and it's a good time for sure.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:58 PM

A2:

MM has been a bone of contention on the forums for some time...Last year at Perry I saw everything from 16 pound Service Rifles right off the line of the President's 100 match to a suppressed SBR off the cover of Soldier of Fortune magazine.

They can/will check trigger weight and overall weight of the rifle (yea, no idea how they made weight either). A 16" barrel saves a bunch of weight, but you need to watch the scope mount/scope.

Regarding light bullets.... my 16" M4 profile 1:9 LOVES the 40gr Nosler BT bullet. Everyone tells me that twist shouldn't work, but it got me a Gold in Vermont last Sep. Try different things, you never know what works.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:30 PM

Unless using SX or VLDs, twist won't play much role on the SR target.
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 04-15-2018, 06:45 PM

SX?
Old 04-17-2018, 06:36 PM

Super Xplosive - Hornady's thin jacket varmint bullets. Involved in most stories of poofing bullets with a 1:7 twist.
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 06-05-2018, 11:39 PM

I shot it last year and was thoroughly confused by the rifles I saw. I really think what they are looking at if you shoot a gold score is 4.5 lbs trigger, no float tube, 8.5lbs total weight and a service rifle legal scope. Guessing everything else is fair game.