Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob32268 View Post
I always thought it was a point of fairness to divide somewhat equally between the North and South Stores. The Northern CMP customers would get a chance to buy some of the same products as the Southern CMP customers.....I understand their transport issues, I just didn't realize the CMP was all about money...
Bob32268
????
The NS stocks Garands. They are shipped from the Anniston armory. They ship as often as they are able.

Who defines "fair"?
It's 750 miles to Camp Perry, should they count rifles, divide all the "one-off's" and withhold items at one store because the other store doesn't have them.

How does any difference equate to "CMP was all about the money"?

Here's a thought:
CMP prices are mandated to be "at fair market value" and are set by the board. NS, SS, Mail Order and travelling games prices are the same. Yet all have different profit margins and expenses.
If they were run like a "traditional retailer" the NS would close, prices would "change", and mail order would vanish in seconds.
Perhaps it's not fair to CMP to operate as they do?

JH
Old 04-15-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
????
The NS stocks Garands. They are shipped from the Anniston armory. They ship as often as they are able.

Who defines "fair"?
It's 750 miles to Camp Perry, should they count rifles, divide all the "one-off's" and withhold items at one store because the other store doesn't have them.

How does any difference equate to "CMP was all about the money"?

Here's a thought:
CMP prices are mandated to be "at fair market value" and are set by the board. NS, SS, Mail Order and travelling games prices are the same. Yet all have different profit margins and expenses.
If they were run like a "traditional retailer" the NS would close, prices would "change", and mail order would vanish in seconds.
Perhaps it's not fair to CMP to operate as they do?

JH
I'm not complaining about prices - just availability.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:23 PM

Errrr.........
You missed the point.
CMP is what it is. Comparing it to some version of "fair" will always be disappointing.
Try to understand the why behind their business processes and it's much easier.

JH
Old 04-15-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I'm not complaining about prices - just availability.
I personally feel, the only reason the North Store is still open is because of the National Matches at Camp Perry.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:20 PM

Close both stores and centralize them in the middle of the country. One in Kentucky and the other somewhere in Utah sounds fair to me.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:07 PM

Default All About Money

The CMP is a non-profit, not a charity.
Quote:
I always thought it was a point of fairness to divide somewhat equally between the North and South Stores. The Northern CMP customers would get a chance to buy some of the same products as the Southern CMP customers.....I understand their transport issues, I just didn't realize the CMP was all about money...
Bob32268
Old 04-16-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
population center means more than geographic center. Half of the country's population lives within 500 miles of Columbus Ohio.
To be totally fair to everyone from coast to coast close both stores and sell by mail order only.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
Anyone qualified can still get a mail order rifle with both of the stores remaining open. People who drive to the stores pay a premium in turnpike tolls, gasoline, wear and tear on their cars, state taxes and their free time.... That puts the price of the rifle way above mail order, so it seems like a fair price upgrade for the privilege of picking one.

As an added bonus, the stores employ hard working Americans who might be out of a job if they close.
I agree. For me it's a 6 hr drive each way to either store and without complaint I've made the trip more than once. My point was instead of complaining about one store having something the other does not the folks that live within a reasonable drive of either store should be thankful they have one closeby.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronwall View Post
To be totally fair to everyone from coast to coast close both stores and sell by mail order only.
I disagree. While I am totally jealous of those who live close enough to the stores to purchase in person, I do not begrudge the CMP the outlet to sell stuff.

- There are often low inventory items that it are impractical to sell by mail.
-When there are a lot of an inventory item, it doesn't hurt anybody for them to sell through the store.
-Some items are too ugly to sell by mail. I assume that is why rack grades are only sold in the stores. If they sold them by mail, they would run the risk of too many complaints and returns.

The one issue I have with the stocking of the stores is when they stock items that are in a special release. Example the last M1 Carbine release. It was sold out on day one, yet they put a quantity in the stores also. That was giving preference to those who live close by. They should have done the entire release by mail and let everybody have the same chance at them.

Last edited by krdomingue; 04-16-2018 at 03:15 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 04-16-2018, 03:00 PM

Default carbines

When the last release of carbines they had 135 for the two stores. Not sure about the north store but there were 200 people lined up for the 135 they had. I know I along with 48 others spent the night there and was able to get one. They let people in about 30 at a time.