Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2021, 07:57 PM

Default M15 possibility?

Perhaps answered before, but new info is always a game-changer, so not asking is the error.

When will the M15 be available from the USAF?

(hopefully, I'll get an answer along with the opinions I'll get)
Old 12-06-2021, 08:29 PM

Many revolvers (including M15s) were transferred to law enforcement agencies once they were replaced with M9s and M11s. I seriously doubt there are many former military revolvers left in the federal inventory.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:50 AM

IIRC, the rejection rate on frames sent to depot for repair was about 60%. Best bet would be to look for an era-correct S&W Model 15 at local shops.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:48 PM

Although the predecessor of the CMP (DCM) did transfer many handguns the CMP was not allowed to perform this task until the 2018 NDAA allowed a very narrow exception. This exception does not include any other handguns.

36 U.S. Code  40728
“(h)Authorized Transfers.—
(1)Subject to paragraph (2), the Secretary may transfer to the corporation, in accordance with the procedure prescribed in this subchapter, surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols and spare parts and related accessories for those pistols that, on the date of the enactment of this subsection, are under the control of the Secretary and are surplus to the requirements of the Department of the Army, and such material as may be recovered by the Secretary pursuant to section 40728A(a) of this title. The Secretary shall determine a reasonable schedule for the transfer of such surplus pistols.
(2)The Secretary may not transfer more than 10,000 surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols to the corporation during any year and may only transfer such pistols as long as pistols described in paragraph (1) remain available for transfer.”
36 U.S. Code  40732
“(b)Gun Club Members.—
(1)The corporation may sell, at fair market value, surplus caliber .22 rimfire rifles, caliber .30 surplus rifles, and caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 surplus pistols, ammunition, repair parts and other supplies necessary for target practice to a citizen of the United States who is legally of age and who is a member of a gun club affiliated with the corporation.”
Old 12-13-2021, 12:09 AM

See my previous post (regarding a similar query) from June 2020 http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.ph...01&postcount=6:

Quote:
Simply put, the law that charters the CMP and authorizes it to receive surplus U.S. Government firearms and sell them to qualified individuals - 36 U.S. Code  40721 et seq - would have to be amended specifically to authorize the transfer and later sale of those revolvers.

I might also add that a separate provision of law (usually found in the DoD appropriations acts passed since 1979) that forbids the unauthorized demilitarization of specified surplus firearms (e.g., M1 rifles, M1911 pistols, etc.) does NOT protect these or any other U.S. Government-owned handguns, other than the M1911 pistols previously mentioned.