Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2019, 04:18 PM

"he who spends the most wins".

Not everyone has a ton of $$ for the latest/high-end stuff.

Some spend a ton of money and are poor shooters so spending a ton of $$ doesn't always make a top shooter.

Practice, practice, practice has always been a principal for improvement to me.

Perhaps there should be a thread where folks that prefer the high-end gear to post their gear use and results.

The 6.5 lbs. spring included in the MBT-S isn't intended for precision work
Old 02-26-2019, 08:38 PM

I'm not exactly talking about a matter of money. I have an MBT in a rifle with the 4.5 lb spring. It does not pick up an NRA weight set, so it wouldn't work with the light spring for matches. The 6.5 pound spring would be too heavy to work well for service rifle. At least, I wouldn't be interested in using it.

There are only a few popular two-stage triggers that folks use for SR for reasons like these. If your trigger makes weight, I think the MBT would be fine. Also, if you're shooting a local vintage match, it's possible no one would care anyway.

Last edited by WindLogik; 02-26-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLogik View Post
I'm not exactly talking about a matter of money. I have an MBT in a rifle with the 4.5 lb spring. It does not pick up an NRA weight set, so it wouldn't work with the light spring for matches. The 6.5 pound spring would be too heavy to work well for service rifle. At least, I wouldn't be interested in using it.

There are only a few popular two-stage triggers that folks use for SR for reasons like these. If your trigger makes weight, I think the MBT would be fine. Also, if you're shooting a local vintage match, it's possible no one would care anyway.
I didn't suggest anyone using the 6.5 lb spring, but mearly mentioned that LaRue includes it with the MBTS trigger which comes with the 4.5 lb. spring pre-installed.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn1 View Post
I didn't suggest anyone using the 6.5 lb spring, but mearly mentioned that LaRue includes it with the MBTS trigger which comes with the 4.5 lb. spring pre-installed.
I understand that the MBT ships with a 4.5 lb spring installed, and I'm not suggesting that a shooter choose to use the 6.5 pound spring either.

I'm saying that the 4.5 lb spring that is installed and included with the MBT may not make weight and there is no adjustment for pull (like other AR triggers designed for match shooting). My MBT, which I love and purchased to evaluate for SR, does not make weight, so it is useless for SR. I have spoken to others that have had similar experiences. YMMV. For SR, you don't want to be in that position, because you don't want to fail weigh-in for an EIC match or a bigger match where folks are weighing triggers.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:49 PM

Bend the spring for another 0.25-0.5lb.
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 02-27-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLogik View Post
I understand that the MBT ships with a 4.5 lb spring installed, and I'm not suggesting that a shooter choose to use the 6.5 pound spring either.

I'm saying that the 4.5 lb spring that is installed and included with the MBT may not make weight and there is no adjustment for pull (like other AR triggers designed for match shooting). My MBT, which I love and purchased to evaluate for SR, does not make weight, so it is useless for SR. I have spoken to others that have had similar experiences. YMMV. For SR, you don't want to be in that position, because you don't want to fail weigh-in for an EIC match or a bigger match where folks are weighing triggers.
I have the MBT in one of my SR's. The 4.5# spring did not make weight so i tweeked the springs to get it where I needed to be. I usually end up close to 5# because I believe in "Murphy"....especially at big match times. As long as it's crisp and not creepy I don't care if it's more than 4.5. Honestly, I like my 87 dollar Larue as well as my 260 dollar G. triggers.

Keith
Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
Presidents Hundred (Top 20 Shootoff)
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade
Old 02-27-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-Sierra View Post
I have the MBT in one of my SR's. The 4.5# spring did not make weight so i tweeked the springs to get it where I needed to be. I usually end up close to 5# because I believe in "Murphy"....especially at big match times. As long as it's crisp and not creepy I don't care if it's more than 4.5. Honestly, I like my 87 dollar Larue as well as my 260 dollar G. triggers.

Keith
I also tried that. Mine made weight for a time and then didn't make weight. I don't really see trying to permanently bend a spring as the best and most reliable way to adjust trigger weight, and that is not how an engineered spring is supposed to be tuned. The MBT is a wonderful trigger, and I don't see it as a match trigger. I tried a Wisonsin trigger too at one point. It claimed that it would make weight out of the box. It didn't and also didn't retain the set from bending. The Geissele trigger is a true engineered trigger for match shooting, and I've been very happy with mine. I like to try new triggers to see if the grass is greener. Hasn't been yet.

Likely, my triggers are set a tad higher than 4.5 lbs. I, personally, wouldn't waste my time with a 6.5 pound spring. So, I care if it's higher than 4.5 pounds too much.

Last edited by WindLogik; 02-27-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:34 PM

Default I made weight!

It took a little work, cost me nothing but time.
1. Took some weight off the fat barrel ( this barrel is nothing special and seen some rounds especially the cheap stuff)

2. Lost the annoying brake and some barrel--ended up with almost 3" of barrel loss

4. Changed out to a free float tube. Its about a wash for the A2 guards I had on there.
5. Re crown 11' crown I went a little deeper to leave just a slight "ring" (blue) then polished it up

Old 03-08-2019, 10:46 AM

Is it just me, or the IMGUR not working right?? Not seeing your pics except briefly and lots of extraneous junk. Good Shooting. ...
Old 03-08-2019, 08:43 PM

Imjur is having its share of issues on my end also. Im guessing soon they are going to want to charge for add free, quality picture hosting.