Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2018, 07:31 PM

Default 8mm mauser ammo question

I recently picked up a 42 JP sauer kar98. its in great shape other than needing the duffle cut permanently fixed. Seems 8mm ammo isnt as common as it used to be. I have no issues running corrosive ammo in a bolt gun. I clean my guns religiously anyways. A guy near me has 500 rounds of steel case 8mm for 20 cents a round. Does anyone have any experience using steel cased ammo in their mauser? any good? Ive always avoided steel cased ammo but that price has me thinking......

Tyler
Old 01-06-2018, 07:46 PM

As long as the lacquer coating is intact . . . and the cases are NOT rusty . . . Youíre good to go.

Iíve shot steel cased, German-made, WW2-era 8mm in my Mausers without incident.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
As long as the lacquer coating is intact . . . and the cases are NOT rusty . . . Youíre good to go.

Iíve shot steel cased, German-made, WW2-era 8mm in my Mausers without incident.
You have to check for rust ON THE INSIDE of the case. A pretty looking WW2 German Steel case round DISINTERGTATED in my Hakim chamber...KaBoom!!!
Old 01-06-2018, 09:20 PM

as this ammo ages the deteriorating powder will attack the lacquer coating inside the case and start rust. see if you can get a few rounds to pull down and inspect before you buy a large amount.
even some of the wartime brass ammo is starting to rot from the inside, the with the notorious "blue ooze " appearing on the case
Old 01-06-2018, 08:23 PM

I have seen some German WWII 8mm and it was old. Not sure if it would run or not. The Yugo steel case stuff seems very good. What are you looking at?
Old 01-06-2018, 08:23 PM

I purchased some of the modern steel cased Romanian stuff years ago. It functions just fine but I always clean as if corrosive. I’ve heard reports that it was, and other say it is not. I treat it like it is corrosive!!
Old 01-06-2018, 09:17 PM

What ever you do make SURE is isn't that 170 grain Green Boxed Romanian ammo that is not made to proper specifications. I had some give to me awhile back and it will not chamber in any of my Mausers.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:46 PM

I have shot a lot of it over the years without a problem.you should still beable to find the Romanian at guns shows.most of what I see id around $200-$225 a tin.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:57 PM

If it is the Romanian surplus Circa 1970's, you are good to go. This is quality ammunition. Have fired thousands of rounds of this with zero issues. It is NOT match ammo though, but reasonably accurate. Easy to ID with distinctive red sealant at the bullet and primer. Packaged in green spam can, "fara lame" is printed on it as well as 7.92mm and other Romanian stuff I can't remember. Packed in 15 round un-labeled tagboard, sometimes with stripper clips. It is a steel cored projectile that will rebound with force from hard targets, so use caution. If I remember correctly, nominal weight was 154 grains resulting in modest recoil compared to 196 grain sS german ammo. It does have a certain stench when you shoot it, kind of a cross between cat pee and scorched brake pads. https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=5&ajaxhist=0 This is a picture of the "good" Romanian

If it is not the Romanian surplus, I would avoid it. Some of the German and occupied WWII 8mm in steel cases was loaded under questionable conditions, and some has deteriorated. As above, the commercial export Romanian is garbage. Also avoid the '50s brass cased Yugoslavian, it tends not to go off in most rifles on the first strike. The 70's Yugo is very good ammo, identified by bright orange primer sealant. Also very good is the Turkish brass cased, with a cu/n jacketed bullet. All 3 good kinds are readily found around gunshows and sometimes online, but the prices have gone up a lot from the glory days of 10 cent bangs.

Last edited by Polaris; 01-07-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post

This is a picture of the "good" Romanian
fixed yer pic

I'm what you'd call a legend in my own mind.

2071 posts on the old forum - not that I'm counting . . .