Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 10thmountain
    • Apr 2016

Dumb Question. But has anyone ever BROKEN A Cast receiver ever? As they say. Pics or it Didn't happen.

Comment

• Duce
      • May 2012

Originally posted by 10thmountain View Post
      Dumb Question. But has anyone ever BROKEN A Cast receiver ever? As they say. Pics or it Didn't happen.
      As Shakespeare would say... the cast vs. forged debate appears to be much ado about nothing.

I'm still waiting to see evidence that a receiver failed because it was cast.

Comment

• Duce
        • May 2012

Originally posted by tyler9274 View Post
        I finally found a gun club to join within driving distance that has ranges out to 600yds.
        If you don't mind my asking, which one?

Comment

• .22shooter
          • Mar 2010

Bula/JRA hands down. Nothing wrong with a proper cast receiver rifle (fulton). But if the prices are close get the JRA which has a forged receiver, bayo lug etc.

The SAI m1a is pretty far from M14 specs in other ways too.

My Bula rifle holds 10 ring on sr1 for 10 shots with 168s.

Bill

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Comment

• TLB
            • Jul 2010

I second the idea to look used; in today's market there are a lot of used deals out there. I've had about everything except a Fulton and Smith. Even my Armscorp was great, but it needed more tweaking by a M14 smith than most of today's receiver's. My Bula is wonderful, but not without growing pains and I still like the Polytech heel stamped versions, never had issues with the factory bolt but changed out rear sight and fire control guts. Just a great platform with lot's of options.

Originally posted by howardhuge View Post
            Tyler9274 Heres my .02 Cents.... With a Budget of 1500.00 there are some good deals to be had buying USED . I WOULD NOT Buy any New SAInc rifles today... Buy a used SAInc rifle SN UNDER 100K that has USGI Parts on it...there are several Nice rifles on different sites including AR15 Forum, Here, etc. James River Rifles are made by Bula, are forged receivers with NON USGI parts on them. they come with a 1 Year Warranty if I read it right when I considered buying one. Read up on their reviews before spending the $$$. Norinco Rifles built on USGI rifles parts are quite good...and Fulton Armory...again used market. If you think the rifle will shoot 600 yds Out the Box ..... never happen. The Optic mount is the weak link on the rifle...buying a scope mount and setting it up can be a bear. Stock Bedding, trigger work, good ammo and experience on the weapon makes for a 600 yds consistent shot. Good Luck.
            Current Feedback:
            Former iTrader Feedback: 41 with 100% positive transactions

Comment

• Renisin
              Banned
              • Dec 2012

The smart move would be taking your time and looking for a SAI. seria.# 45,000-100,000 range in excellent to new condition. Study up and know what you are looking at when you are ready to buy will go a long way to ensure you end up with a quality firearm.

The thing to look for is that early SAI. with USGI parts, there are commercial parts available but they are not the equivalent of parts made by TRW, H&R, Winchester or Springfield Armory which closed it's doors in 1968.

One more thing that folks here have not mentioned about mounting a scope that needs to be addressed. While the Bassett mount serves a purpose and it's main attraction is ease of use, it is a far cry from the M14 scope mounts made by Brookfield Precision Tool co. or the clones that followed, Sadlak and SEI just to name a couple. Theses mounts are rock solid and offer the best foundation for your scope. While I will admit that they are more difficult to take on and off, they are without a doubt the best M14 scope mounts out there. If your rifle will be used predominately with a scope these are the mounts you want, but if are a weekend warrior and plan to use your iron sights on a regular bases the Bassett just might be right for you.

Oh, don't let the cast vs forged thing concern you, SAI. has made well over 300,000 thousand M1As that just keep on ticking! While I will admit there is an attraction with the forged receivers, I've seen nothing that would indicate that there is a safety concern with cast receivers.

Good luck on your quest.
              Ren

Comment

• Duce
                • May 2012

One of my pet peeves is when someone asks about a specific rifle/brand, and then someone suggests something entirely different... but I'll do it anyway.

In regards to scoping, if you intend to always have a scope mounted to your rifle, you can take the whole brand/type of scope mount out of the equation. Bula makes a XM21 model that incorporates a Picatinny rail machined right into the receiver so as to mount a scope; however, no rear-sight pocket is included, so no irons with this model, only scoped.

I first saw this offering at Camp Perry back in '16. I wasn't all that keen on it, but later got one nonetheless, and am happy that I did.

Comment

• nf1e
                  • Apr 2012

There are plenty of options out there. JRA M21 DMR if you want to use both scope and iron sights. Receiver is machined directly to accept the rail. No need for any after market side mount that might not hold.

This is a Bula/ JRA /Rock-Ola of their early vintage. All James River Armory M14 type receivers currently being used along with most parts are produced by Bula Defense Systems in Cleveland Ohio.

Quick change optics, or use the irons in place.

Semper Fi
                  Art
                  Last edited by nf1e; 01-17-2018, 10:01 AM.
                  Semper Fi
                  Art
                  Sgt USMC 66 -72
                  RVN 67-68

Comment

• howardhuge
                    • Dec 2009

As I recall LRB M25 receivers are set up for Iron or scope. Another thing to consider is do you plan to shoot military service matches...Receivers with these mods are not allowed.

Comment

• tyler9274
                      • Jul 2017

Duce & nf1e those are some damn good looking rifles! After a lot of research i think I've decided to go with the JRA/Bula from classic. Ill make sure to show it off here once it comes in.

Thank you everyone for your input!
                      Tyler D
                      SSGT @ USAF Civil Engineering-Power Pro

Comment

• nf1e
                        • Apr 2012

I think you have chosen wisely grasshopper.

Semper Fi
                        Art
                        Semper Fi
                        Art
                        Sgt USMC 66 -72
                        RVN 67-68

Comment

• OLD CORPS
                          • Jan 2018

Hi guys. I'm the new guy on this block but after reading this thread I would add my 2 pennies as well. Been shooting M-14's to M1a's for a very long time. My Springfield M1a is on the third barrel. First barrel chrome moly had 6k through it, the second SS had 5k, and now this one has 2k. All Kreiger barrels. The rifle will shoot 3/4 moa all day, and runs like a watch. It's an old 5 digit serial number. I'm convinced.

Comment

• nf1e
                            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by OLD CORPS View Post
                            Hi guys. I'm the new guy on this block but after reading this thread I would add my 2 pennies as well. Been shooting M-14's to M1a's for a very long time. My Springfield M1a is on the third barrel. First barrel chrome moly had 6k through it, the second SS had 5k, and now this one has 2k. All Kreiger barrels. The rifle will shoot 3/4 moa all day, and runs like a watch. It's an old 5 digit serial number. I'm convinced.
                            Welcome to the gang.
                            Sounds like you indeed have a quality machine in your possession.
                            Barrels make the rifle for sure.

Semper Fi
                            Art
                            Semper Fi
                            Art
                            Sgt USMC 66 -72
                            RVN 67-68

Comment

• H2O MAN
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2014

In regards to scoping, if you intend to always have a scope mounted to your rifle, you can take the whole brand/type of scope mount out of the equation.
                              The Blackfeather "RS" equipped with the LSP allows you to keep the scope mounted full time AND run off-set iron sights.

Comment

• tyler9274
                                • Jul 2017

Another question...

I mostly use iron sights ( garands, kar98s, enfields, 1903s, etc) and i have little experience with scopes. I've researched many and found that Leupold, nikon, and vortex are popular on this platform. What would you guys recommend as a good entry level scope? Once again, Id be shooting at 1-600 yards so i don't need the hubble telescope on top of the rifle.

I'm leaning towards the sadlak airborne scope mount for a JRA/Bula M14
                                Tyler D
                                SSGT @ USAF Civil Engineering-Power Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X