Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2018, 08:06 AM

Does CMP charge extra for the plastic cases?? It's been a few years since I have purchased a firearm from them... All of mine came in cardboard boxes and all were delivered in perfect condition.... Never really cared what the box looked like as long as the contents were intact/protected..
Old 09-29-2018, 08:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDF View Post
Does CMP charge extra for the plastic cases?? It's been a few years since I have purchased a firearm from them... All of mine came in cardboard boxes and all were delivered in perfect condition.... Never really cared what the box looked like as long as the contents were intact/protected..
No, included with your purchase.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:25 AM

I've never had problems with either the cardboard boxes or the plastic cases, but I preferred the cardboard just because they were great for shipping out rifles. Plastic cases are heavy.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:26 AM

I have received firearms (not from CMP) in the cardboard egg crate foam style boxes with no issues, and I have also got one of the new brown CMP case (mine was fine when it arrived) but that being said I think it should be an option when ordering maybe a small discount to opt for the box. I think boxes used by palmetto state armory are ideal for shipping
Old 09-29-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migunshooter View Post
I have received firearms (not from CMP) in the cardboard egg crate foam style boxes with no issues, and I have also got one of the new brown CMP case (mine was fine when it arrived) but that being said I think it should be an option when ordering maybe a small discount to opt for the box. I think boxes used by palmetto state armory are ideal for shipping
Did you ever think that the total cost of shipping using the plano cases is less than with the foam linrd cardboard cases?
Total cost being cost of packaging, shipping, INSURANCE, stocking, etc?

The goal isnít to provide you with a case, itís to get the rifles to you efficiently.

Not one person describing a damaged plano box mentioned damage to the rifle, so the case did exactly what CMP required.
Note that many people give them away, to some of us they are like cost hangars.
I just bought a Steyr. Cost more than anything at CMP not on an auction. The case, Steyr logo and all fit in a custom cardboard shipping case. I am 100% sure they paid the same, or sell than the CMP version.
The case was to protect it for shipping. Only.

Jh

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 09-29-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migunshooter View Post
I think it should be an option when ordering maybe a small discount to opt for the box.
If I remember correctly the CMP started shipping in the plastic cases to reduce the number of rifles they had poking out of cardboard boxes on arrival at their destination. Granted the new plastic cases don't seem to be working as well as the old, but I'm sure the CMP will get that worked out.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:06 PM

Here is my CMP case story.

End of July one of my sons and I visited the CMP South Store and ended up with five M1s.

Because we were on a family RV road trip and were to fly back to Alaska at the end of the trip I was thankful that the rifles were packed in the cases. Can't send rifles in cardboard boxes as baggage as you can't put a lock on it. That saved us some time and money not having to buy gun cases. Although because of TSA rules we had to put three locks on each case. Anyone need 15 TSA approved locks? (Son says keep them for our next trip to a CMP store. Smart boy).

My son and I were concerned that the cases did not seem as sturdy as other airline approved cases we have especially the black clips that close the cases. We even made a bet on how many of those black clips would not survive the trip. We thought of putting tape around the cases over the black clips but knew from prior trips that the TSA would not allow that.

As we used the rifles several times during our trip, the first couple times at the CMP range, we were glad that we had them in the hard cases. The CMP on the side was a draw when at ranges and still is here at our home ranges. Although we found that the baggage tag adhesive pulled off some of the logo.

The rifles made the trip to Alaska in the cases unscathed. The cases, other than some light scratches, made it home intact. Not even any lost or broken black clips. At least three sets of baggage handlers and two aircraft changes.

Have to share this story:

When we were checking in at the ticket counter with our five rifle cases there was a grandfather with his two granddaughters, (about 8 and 10), in line behind us. One of the girls asked "Grandpa, what is in those things?", (the rifle cases). Grandpa said, "Awesomeness pure awesomeness!" That started a great conversation with a Korean War Vet who carried a M1 in the war. We just had to open up one of the cases for him to see the rifle. Just happened to be the WRA with the well used GI stock. He thanked us for it and he was able to show his granddaughters the rifle he used in the war. They were in aw of the rifle. When we left them grandpa was answering many questions with a smile on his face that lit up the terminal.

My boys had the opportunity to spend time with an amazing man and hear a few stories.

So you can say I'm very partial to the tan cases and am glad that the CMP provides them.

Last edited by hogfamily; 09-29-2018 at 09:26 PM.