• gunny
    • Apr 2010

1911 vs 1911A1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Huk1...&frags=pl%2Cwn
    Semper Fi,
    Gunny
    RVN '66 - '68 1st Tank Bn
    USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

• rwmartin58
    • Jun 2018

He does good job too....

IN GOD WE TRUST..........ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• 2AD_Vet
      • Feb 2012

when did the A1 incorporate the ejection port modifications and the flat sided hammer? Were they WW2 mods or post war mods?

Comment

• weimar_police
        • Nov 2012

Forgotten weapons walks through them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgOicEVA4u8
        Edward Tinker - Co-Author of Police Lugers & Simson Lugers - Veteran Bring Backs Vol 1-4

Comment

• Jeff1963
          • Mar 2018

1911s vs A1s

I’ve been wondering how many 1911s are in the inventory that will be available or were all 1911s coming from the Army modified to A1s at some point after the mid 1920s during their service life? I carried an A1 in the service and don’t recall seeing or having an original 1911. That was in the early 80s though.

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• TechMech
            • Jul 2012

To modify the 1911 to a m1911a1, the frame would have to be modified. I doubt they did that at all. My son has a 1911 frame made in 1918, it has a USGI 1950s vintage replacement slide, a USGI 1985 replacement barrel, and late WWII USGI components like arched mainspring housing, longer grip safety, etc but, it is still a 1911 cause of the frame.

I have a reworked USGI Colt 1918 vintage M1911 that shipped from the Letterkenny Army Depot in 1967 or 1968 to a private citizen that bought it back when they last sold them. It has a serial number that is very close to that of my Son's and probably made the same week back in Sept. of 1918. 100 Years ago and still goin strong
            Last edited by TechMech; 09-07-2018, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• Snowman1510
              • May 2017

My M1911 is 1918 datted, it is parkerized and has the brown GI grips on it but other than that nothing else has been altered.

Comment

• TechMech
                • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Snowman1510 View Post
                My M1911 is 1918 datted, it is parkerized and has the brown GI grips on it but other than that nothing else has been altered.
                Mine shipped from the depot just like yours when it was sold to a private citizen. Ser No 4136XX

Comment

• cmp1911admin
                  • Apr 2018

From what I have seen so far the "A" & "B" codes all have the A1 mods. on them

Comment

• Quicksilvergoat
                    • Aug 2011

A cool variation to receive would be a 1911 with the finger cutouts added bringing it to true 1911A1 specs. I’ve seen a ton of Arsenal overhauled pistols with everything minus the cutouts. I recall seeing a picture one time of a pistol with one side without the cutout. I don’t recall if it started life as a 1911 or if it was an 1911a1 and the step was skipped.

Comment

• Jeff1963
                      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Quicksilvergoat View Post
                      A cool variation to receive would be a 1911 with the finger cutouts added bringing it to true 1911A1 specs. I’ve seen a ton of Arsenal overhauled pistols with everything minus the cutouts. I recall seeing a picture one time of a pistol with one side without the cutout. I don’t recall if it started life as a 1911 or if it was an 1911a1 and the step was skipped.

That would be cool, I would like to get one with Navy or Marine Corps markings on the slide but that is probably unlikely given that they are coming from the Army.

Comment

• bandofM1
                        • Feb 2013

are the A and B codes stamped on the trigger guard? Have you ever seen a S stamped on trigger guard?

Comment

• majorfa
                          • Nov 2009

Sorry have not really looked, what does the "S" mean?

Comment

• Quicksilvergoat
                            • Aug 2011

The A and B codes he refers to are how they are classified in the Army system. They are not stamped A or B. As far as the “S” stamped on a trigger guard it is usually nothing more than an inspectors mark.

Comment

• Ohio Don
                              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Jeff1963 View Post
                              That would be cool, I would like to get one with Navy or Marine Corps markings on the slide but that is probably unlikely given that they are coming from the Army.

So would I and the Navy and other services are supposed to turn over unwanted firearms to the Army for disposal. I have a Navy M1903A3 that came from the CMP so there could be a few 1911s that were sent in. But not likely as the Navy has them stored at Crane and maybe other locations.

US Army Transportation and Medical Corps Museums Life member

Comment

Working...
                              X