Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Auction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2018, 01:44 PM

Default Carbines

I have not seen any carbines on auction the last few times I looked. Has the CMP completely run out? I know it was mentioned earlier this year that the supply would be exhausted before the years end but I had not seen any mention anywhere that it had come to an end.

GuapoPogi
Old 10-01-2018, 02:23 PM

There is a Service grade IBM and a M1A1 up for auction now.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:14 PM

I just bought 2 Garands at the TMP so my wife has banned me from buying anymore guns for a year except for a CMP 1911 if my lottery number is low enough to qualify me for a purchase before the 12 months runs out.

GuapoPogi
Old 10-05-2018, 02:37 PM

The carbines are reported to be very low supply and will run out by, if not before, the end of the year:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp2 View Post
CMP will be out of M1 Carbines (Service Grade, Field Grade and M1A1 Paratroopers) by the end of the year. I just wanted to let you all know. I am the CMP auctioneer for the carbines.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:20 PM

Current M1A1 Carbine in the auction has a "Foreign Stock". I have googled and googled but have been unable to find any info on where this stock could have been from. Assume it may be less collectible ?

Any ideas ?

"Inland M1A1 Carbine 5159697

Carbine has an unmarked front sight on an Inland MFG.DIV. General Motors 4-44 barrel with an ME of 0+, with an SI stamped type III barrel band. The Inland trigger housing has an M stamped magazine catch, an SS in circled rotary safety, an MS stamped straight hammer and an unmarked hole in sear. The type IV slide is stamped D 7160091 SG X. The milled rear adjustable sight is stamped with an H in shield. This is all set in a foreign wood stock with a “Slim Jim” pistol grip. The leather is in excellent shape, it is held in place with brass rivets, showing signs of corrosion. The 4 rivet handguard is stamped IO."
Old 12-05-2018, 12:39 PM

Many carbines were lent to foreign countries. I would assume it was replaced then. No way of saying for sure which country, because we don’t know how long the CMP has been sitting with it in the to be auctioned inventory. There was also a pretty big rebuild program after the war in one of the European countries, but I forget which one.

It would be less valuable then an original stock, but more valuable than a commercial copy.

Last edited by krdomingue; 12-05-2018 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 12-05-2018, 06:35 PM

FN/Belgium
https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-and-carbines/
*note the photo of M1A1 stocks.

Last edited by BobJ50; 12-05-2018 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Added note
Old 12-06-2018, 08:48 AM

I think I read that Italy produced some paratrooper stocks for the carbines we loaned them
Old 12-06-2018, 09:24 AM

It may be possible that M1A1 stocks with correct military specifications were made for those carbines; however, Pietta of Italy made a "Reproduction" M1A1 stock that was mediocre at best. That particular stock was imported to the US and may have been sold by SARCO and Numrich, as well as others. It often required inletting [in various places,] the cheekpiece and rivets were of poor quality and fit, springs often did not fit correctly and the buttplate would not seat properly. I recall it being sold for around $100 and could satisfy someone who did not mind the quality, or lack of.
I am writing only about examples I personally observed and there may be others that are better. Pietta, if they still make the stock, may have improved their QC.