Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimfortheblack View Post
Dont ask.

It was nice they didnt open the rifle sales until 9 so again, competitors get the bottom of the barrel pickings left at 5pm. Nice to see all the neckbeards lined up who probably couldnt hit the black at 100 yards who get first dibs

They had a 5k and another event going on in the morning. When you got there in the morning there was one line for everybody so it took forever for everyone to check in. It was nice they had 3 golf carts for 100 guys to share to get your gear to the firing line, youd figure for as much as the TMP costs they could buy a couple more carts.The GSM match started a little late but it wasnt bad and seemed ran ok. I didnt notice any issues with the targets around us.

Then someone dropped the ball, kicked it around and then ran over it with a car.

There was supposed to be the First GSM match and 3 reentries. I paid to shoot all of them but the last reentry was cancelled because they were getting so far behind.

Then began the great vintage sniper snafu of 2018

The match was supposed to start at 1300. I dont think we started shooting until 1430. That was after the squadding disaster where they didnt tell anyone where their firing point was, but came over a loud speaker and said, walk down the isle until you find your point. Looking through 40 firing points with tons of people doing the same is a nightmare.4

There was no safety briefing or anything going over the range commands, so anyone not familiar with the normal vintage sniper procedure had no idea of the commands.

Then, "friends" of a GCA board member gun had broke so they requested a special 2nd relay so they could share a gun. So they squaded some people on this unneeded 2nd relay which dragged on until almost 430. Then they had a meeting and finally got some food around 530 or so. No carts to be found since there was only 2-3 so the majority of us had to hump our stuff up a long hill to the parking lot

All in all it was fun but they really need to get their stuff together.
Of course, Leon retired!
Old 10-01-2018, 01:14 PM

Default Tmp

Fellows,

I had a good time. During the down time of the sniper match I observed at least 90 percent of the competitors talking and visiting with each other catching up on old times. I saw some guys from the GCA Camp Blanding match from March of 2017 and glad to see them again. I just relaxed and enjoyed the down time.

I also wanted to say I did not pre-register because I did not know if I could make it. I was intentionally late on Saturday morning because I was only shooting the sniper match. There were several inline with me that had not pre-registered for the Garand Match either.

From the 5k run for charity to all of the events of the day, and don't forget the rifle sales going on also, ]I believe the Staff done a great job. Could things have went better, sure, but they care. They always have time to answer my questions, and help with a rifle that is not acting right on the line.

Having no military service, I appreciate all the Veterans have sacrificed for our county. I am proud to say my Father was a WWII pacific war vet. A few post in this string was mentioned "Don't sweat the small stuff". I agree. I run a land surveying business with 9 employees. After 60 hours plus a week working, a few minutes with family, my son was with me, co-workers, one of the guys that works for me was with us also, and friends, Rick Waldo and more, is a precious thing.

Richard Graves

P.S. Because of Don Rutherford, Rick Waldo, and others, we three hit the black at 600 yards

Last edited by Rich2013; 10-01-2018 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Mispelled Don
Old 10-01-2018, 07:40 PM

Default TMP RifleSales, etc.

I had a great time. Yes, Don is a gem. Missed Leon. It was fun getting to talk to many GCA members, such nice people. Most of the rifles I looked at were from the Turkish returns. Plenty of IHC stuff with new wood. It is what it is. BBQ excellent, nice member's business meeting and the 22 match, mini-palma is always fun. I didn't shoot from a sling this time. Getting too old. Used a bipod and scope and that might have been worse. Don Kemps from the GCA did a great job with the 22 match. That is his baby apparently. Yes, there were delays but anyone who has been to Camp Perry or a large Regional is used to that.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:45 AM

Super enjoyed seeing Tom, Rob, Talking Warrior, & am in awe of Tom who continued writing down rifle statistics while talking to me! Kudos to Mike on overwatch with a trigger guard tool & just opening one after the other brought to him for inspection. Kenny it was good seeing you again & maybe we can talk more about your pieces for sale after you get back home. Oh....and really enjoyed meeting Jim Adell & discussing his experience w/ the Navy & SECNAV Trophy rifles. I feel I'm leaving someone out but gotta dental appointment this morning so gotta run.
Clark Air Base, Philippines (1961-1964)
Old 10-09-2018, 10:58 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to skwchock
Smile M1 garand (.308)

Received my M1 GARAND (.308) yesterday. It is an H&R Arms rifle. SO BEAUTIFUL. IT FEELS SO GREAT. Will be shooting it this weekend. CAN'T WAIT. The service was GREAT. The shipping staff (Melody, Cathie, AND EVERYONE INVOLVED) WERE SUPER FANTASTIC. REALLY GREAT FOLKS... THANKS FOR YOUR EFFORT in getting this rifle to me soonest. I do appreciate it very much.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimfortheblack View Post
Dont ask.

It was nice they didnt open the rifle sales until 9 so again, competitors get the bottom of the barrel pickings left at 5pm. Nice to see all the neckbeards lined up who probably couldnt hit the black at 100 yards who get first dibs

They had a 5k and another event going on in the morning. When you got there in the morning there was one line for everybody so it took forever for everyone to check in. It was nice they had 3 golf carts for 100 guys to share to get your gear to the firing line, youd figure for as much as the TMP costs they could buy a couple more carts.The GSM match started a little late but it wasnt bad and seemed ran ok. I didnt notice any issues with the targets around us.

Then someone dropped the ball, kicked it around and then ran over it with a car.

There was supposed to be the First GSM match and 3 reentries. I paid to shoot all of them but the last reentry was cancelled because they were getting so far behind.

Then began the great vintage sniper snafu of 2018

The match was supposed to start at 1300. I dont think we started shooting until 1430. That was after the squadding disaster where they didnt tell anyone where their firing point was, but came over a loud speaker and said, walk down the isle until you find your point. Looking through 40 firing points with tons of people doing the same is a nightmare.4

There was no safety briefing or anything going over the range commands, so anyone not familiar with the normal vintage sniper procedure had no idea of the commands.

Then, "friends" of a GCA board member gun had broke so they requested a special 2nd relay so they could share a gun. So they squaded some people on this unneeded 2nd relay which dragged on until almost 430. Then they had a meeting and finally got some food around 530 or so. No carts to be found since there was only 2-3 so the majority of us had to hump our stuff up a long hill to the parking lot

All in all it was fun but they really need to get their stuff together.
Just for correctness, “friends” of a GCA board members broken gun had ZERO to do with the second relay. With only a slight bit of questioning, had you done so, would have revealed the reason for the second relay;
-They (CMP?) thought they had less than 25 teams actually turn in their VS Team cards at center line.
-The CMP had put scoring ring faces on every other target, 300 & 600 yards. They began doing this a few years ago because of the “whiners” that couldn’t aim at a 6 MOA Black Bull center or hold off. Doing so immediately reduces the available firing points from 50 to 25, because god forbid someone might be on a target with no scoring rings.
-So the CMP (center line) mistakenly thought it worked out.

Until our team and several other teams could not find our team names on any of the monitors. In the tower, I then learned that those of us that registered our VS Team name (white paper with both competitor labels) earlier that day up in the clubhouse still had our team registrations up there. We had been issued score cards by the clubhouse, unlike all on relay one which were issued at the tower. The clubhouse immediately brought those team registrations down to the tower, which then had to create a second relay due to the unavailability of scoring ring targets.

Fake News doesn’t belong on this forum. Mistakes were made and so were adjustments. But they were honest and imo due to inexperience of the staff along with the 5k commotion. I guess I should complain, as we were on relay two and I know if we had shot relay one we would have done better than 2nd... ha ha.

TMP is still new, going thru growing pains. It’s evident. But don’t throw them under the bus. They always do seem to do their best and try to accommodate reasonable people. Besides, where else you going, the NRA’s Park?
Old 10-11-2018, 11:53 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to skwchock

The NRA Shooting Illustrated (dated: Sunday, August 19, 2018) has an article written by Philip Massaro titled ".308 Win vs. 7.62 NATO: What's the Difference". The bottom line in this article is a warning that .308 Win is more powerful (62,000 psi) than the 7.62 NATO (60,200 PSI). I guess that means that ONLY 7.62 NATO (147 GR. BALL) should be fired from the M1 Garand (.308)...and not to fire .308 Win.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3StrikesNC View Post
Just for correctness, “friends” of a GCA board members broken gun had ZERO to do with the second relay. With only a slight bit of questioning, had you done so, would have revealed the reason for the second relay;
-They (CMP?) thought they had less than 25 teams actually turn in their VS Team cards at center line.
-The CMP had put scoring ring faces on every other target, 300 & 600 yards. They began doing this a few years ago because of the “whiners” that couldn’t aim at a 6 MOA Black Bull center or hold off. Doing so immediately reduces the available firing points from 50 to 25, because god forbid someone might be on a target with no scoring rings.
-So the CMP (center line) mistakenly thought it worked out.

Until our team and several other teams could not find our team names on any of the monitors. In the tower, I then learned that those of us that registered our VS Team name (white paper with both competitor labels) earlier that day up in the clubhouse still had our team registrations up there. We had been issued score cards by the clubhouse, unlike all on relay one which were issued at the tower. The clubhouse immediately brought those team registrations down to the tower, which then had to create a second relay due to the unavailability of scoring ring targets.

Fake News doesn’t belong on this forum. Mistakes were made and so were adjustments. But they were honest and imo due to inexperience of the staff along with the 5k commotion. I guess I should complain, as we were on relay two and I know if we had shot relay one we would have done better than 2nd... ha ha.

TMP is still new, going thru growing pains. It’s evident. But don’t throw them under the bus. They always do seem to do their best and try to accommodate reasonable people. Besides, where else you going, the NRA’s Park?

Your story bro..I was standing right there when Mr Rutledge and others were talking to mr Rutherford, explaining if there was no 2nd relay, so and so couldnt shoot because their gun broke. The rest of my story stands.