Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2011, 11:16 AM

Default Pot Belly M1A1?

I won an auction for an M1A1, with Greek wood. As you probably already know, the auction photos leave a whole lot to be desired, but looking at the photos indicated to me a lean, M1-type forestock.

The confirmation email from CMP, however, calls it a pot belly. I have tried calling them, but 20 minutes on hold is an eternity, when listening to a radio that's breaking up constantly. (Know what I mean?)

So, wondering if anyone here can shed some light on my question: Did M1A1 stocks come in "pot belly"? I have honestly never seen a pot belly paratrooper stock, and curious about that.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:50 AM

Send a message via ICQ to bkavanaugh

On this, I am only as good as the handful of books I own. I don't know of any "original" pot belly M1A1 stocks.

From Craig Riesch: "The M1A1 Carbine was never manufactured in the M2 configuration. No original M1A1 stocks were cut for the selector lever or disconnector lever. Some stocks were later modified by foreign governments after World War II." U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime Production, 6th Edition, p. 125.

Last edited by bkavanaugh; 02-28-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:54 AM

I can't find anything in any of my "unnamed" books that says the M2 "potbelly" stocks were ever used by the M1A1. One book did mention that some countries over seas may have used them during rebuild. You said that the stock was Greek wood? Maybe that is where the pot belly stock came from.
I have also seen "slim-fat" and "plain fat" stocks. I have several M2's that the wood is lower/higher at the trigger housing (on the bottom). Never paid enough attention to them to wonder why.

Stand by, the pros will soon come into this thread to correct me.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 02-28-2011, 11:59 AM

I have never seen a "potbelly" m1a1 stock and I have had a bunch through the years. Epay has a wood forestock listed--second series wood only, no grip or metal --# 330535687217. Mike
Old 02-28-2011, 12:15 PM

OK. CMP just emailed me back, and said they have never handled a pot belly paratrooper. (hahaha) But some foreign country replacement might possibly show up as such. Mine apparently is NOT pot belly.

Thanks for the responses.