Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2011, 06:12 PM

Question Inland Carbine

Hi I have a chance to purchase one of these and would like to know what I should look for to determine if it is orginal or not.The fellow is asking $450,is that a fair price,what markings should I look for and were can they be found,I own two SpringField Armory M1A's and I'm pretty good at knowing what to look for in them,there both USGI with H&R parts and I'm trying to build another using Winchester parts,I've got a Win.OpRod,Trigger group,and Bolt so-far.Any help will be thankful.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:31 PM

I think anything in the $400 to $500 range is a really good asking price when you see what they are going for in the gunshops gun shows and auctions. I just paid $525 for one a few weeks ago and felt like I stole it from the guy so I guess it all depends on what you feel is a fair price.

Wayne
Old 03-01-2011, 08:51 PM

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Banned

I seriously doubt you will get an original M1 Carbine for $450. Things to look for are flip sights, highwood stock, type 1 or type 2 barrel band, push button safety, no bayonet lug. Also look for parts with Inland markings. They will usually have an "I" on it. It would help to know serial number too. If you get it for $450 it is still a good price for a rearsenaled M1. Good Luck !!!
Old 03-02-2011, 12:23 PM

If you mean by "original", USGI, then it's quite possibly a good carbine.
*Take a .308 round from your M1A and put the bullet into the muzzle, and see how far the brass stands off from the muzzle. The farther the better. If the brass touches the muzzle, the barrel is quite possibly shot out totally.
Look for manufacturer mark on top of the barrel, right behind the front sight. There are over 1/2 dozen possibilities, but if the Inland (under rear sight) is marked on the receiver, then it's likely the barrel will be USGI.
Condition of the stock is important.
Overall condition of the carbine is important.
NOTE: If it's all USGI, and the barrel isn't shot out, then well worth the $450.