Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckinohio View Post
These are split neck or other damaged 30-06 cases shortened to 7.7 Jap.

PJH
If you are using well used junk grade cases for the conversion it is possible that the primer pockets have expanded from previous firings. This is a common failure mode.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:40 AM

Junk grade brass......Agreed on the expanded primer pockets, what I want to do with Go-No tool is eliminate those before they get into my field ammo can. As I have a bunch of this stuff, I stay with it as the Jap. gun chamber is very much over sized. There is a distinct swell just ahead of the extraction groove. It covers about 30% of the circumference. Many times I cant resize this out. Now it is throwaway. Even the new 7.7 brass I have does the same thing. I had thought that maybe the -06 case might be slightly smaller, but not so.....

Knife. If you look at the crimp, it is just the extreme back edge. I dont cut anything off other than that, the hand held reamer just slicks it up a bit. Try it some time, works easier that one would think. I admit, I do need a more correct tool.

PJH

Last edited by heckinohio; 06-11-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:05 AM

A countersink in a cordless drill, while admittedly not the "correct tool", is quick and easy. Just don't go overboard and over-chamfer the top edge of the primer pocket.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:51 AM

I like the Ballistic Tool gage. Since I started annealing worn primer pockets are the new fail point. When loading, I used to designate cases with marginal pockets for offhand practice and toss them afterward. Now I just check them with the gage when they've been loaded several times. Lake City 308 cases seem to wear out quickest.