Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2020, 05:37 PM

Default Case trimmer review

So after about 2 years of looking at the Frankfort Arsenal case prep center I finally bought one. I was not sure what to expect from it, so I figured Id give a short review over the last 2 weeks or so. Let me first say that my previous case trimmer was a Hornady hand trimmer with hand case debur tools. I set up for 556/223, i used the 2 pieces that that the book said to use and started doing small adjustments till I got to around 1.755 on my case. I locked it in and started trimming, I checked every 4-5 cases as I trimmed to see if it stayed true. I trimmed and deburred about 50 cases, they varied from 1.754-1.756 over the first 50. I then started a second batch and measured every tenth case, measurements were same as first batch. I have finished about 300 cases and it has remained true so far. I can trim about 8-10 cases per minute, which is about 10 times faster than the old way.
I am using the stock cutter that came with kit and so far so good, but may upgrade to a better one after this wears some. I have not done any other calibers yet, so I cannot give any info on 30/06 or 308, but believe it should work just as good. I am very happy at this point and it has made the pain of case trimming much better both physically and mentally.
I found it on sale on Amazon for $135, regular price is around $189-199 and got free shipping to boot. It is fairly quiet, I have my buddy size and deprive while I stand a few feet away and trim, we can carry on a normal conversation with trimmer running. It is built sturdy and should last for thousands of rounds and years of service. I will try and set up for some bigger rounds in the near future, but I can say at this point in time it is a great upgrade over a hand trimmer.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:33 PM

It stays as true as your shoulder bump consistency. (And if you remembered which parts are left hand thread. )

I found the VLD chamfer easy to chatter, so I prefer using a regular angle for the first processing, then use the VLD. It still has a bit of art to it.

A Hornady primer crimp reamer is usable, but the machine is slow for it.
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 06-20-2020, 02:12 PM

I just prepped another 150 556 cases and had about the same variance on length, I am happy with it especially for what it cost. I am using all stock tools that came with it and no issues to this point. I did take the little brass shavings catcher off and put a sandwich size Tupperware container under it. It got to be a pain to keep emptying the little plastic piece, plus the dish catches the shavings from the 3 other tool spots.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:38 PM

I cut up big coffee can to clip on.
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara