Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2020, 06:43 PM

Default Hornady Hand primer tool?

Anyone here ever use the hornady hand primer tool and if so, how
does it do? The U-tube videos seem to lean toward there a very
good tool. I've been looking at the Frankfort Arsenal tool also, but
just don't know which one to get. I've been using an old Lee round
tray for years, and it's getting worn out. I love the Lee but.......
Thanks for any replies,
Denny
Old 06-24-2020, 09:34 PM

I like mine but I modified it to use a bushing in the shell holders that fully surrounds the primers and "ram" as it seats them. I got tired of it pushing in primers a bit crooked like the Lee did and so it now mimics what you have in reloading press priming.

Last edited by gjungle56; 06-25-2020 at 04:58 AM.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:28 AM

There are quite a number of different ways to prime your casings. Not sure exactly what model/type of hand priming tool you are asking about, but I use one made by RCBS which has a squarish plastic holder for the primers and a hand squeezer which seats them.

There are two different size primers (large and small) and you have to switch out a part on the hand squeezer for the size you want to use.

There is not a specific size shell holder for each different size casing - rather two spring loaded pinchers hold the shell in place while you squeeze the handle to seat the primer.

This sort of arrangement works well on most shells. However, I have sometimes had problems with smaller cases like the .223 Rem, especially if using military shell casings that I had to ream the primer pockets on. Often a casing gets popped out of the "pinchers" when seating the primer.

Another way that I prime is to use a Lee set up in which the casing is placed in a shell holder on TOP of the press, and the priming part is attached to the top of the ram. This allows you to prime on the downward pull of the handle. This is a very easy way to prime, but you do have to be at your press (rather than watching TV or enjoying the sunset like you can do with a hand primer). The down side of this set up is that sometimes it will "flip" a primer and insert it upside down or sideways if you put the primers in when the ram is all the way down. The best way is to run the ram up (handle down) and insert the primer. Then withdraw the ram slightly while you put the case in the shell holder then prime.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:41 PM

I have one, and while I cannot comment on the tools as a whole, the one I have is very difficult to work. First, it does not fit my hand as I have to reset it in my hand after each squeeze. Feeding primers from the tray into the tool (CCI and Winchester both large and small) is hit and miss. Getting the primers to flow/slide down to the chute is inconsistent. Other minor problems like upside down primers, no primers in the chute are common.

FWIW; I have been using hand tools since I was 12 (my father was a mechanic) and making a living using hand tools from the age of 20. Meaning I am well versed in using hand tools of all kinds so my problems with the Hornady tool is not from inexperience with tools...
Old 06-26-2020, 02:04 PM

In my opinion, the old Lee round tray hand primer is a tough act to follow. When my old Lee Autoprime broke (& parts are apparently no longer available) I bought a new Lee Autoprime XR, then an RCBS universal, & was pretty dissatisfied with both of them. I then discovered that that the Autoprime XR's lever fits in the old Lee, so the good old round tray is up & running & life is good again.

Note: a lot of folks seem to like the RCBS universal, though they seem to like them better when they buy two so they don't have to change primer size. I use the RCBS universal to prime 50 Beowulf cases as I'd have to clearance a Lee shellholder a bit to get that case to fit.

Last edited by oodnoodn; 06-26-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:54 AM

I've worn out two Lee round tray units. The one I'm using now is on
it's last legs... The plastic in the trays where the rod comes up to
seat the primer wears out of round, then your in trouble.
I just ordered the Frankfort Arsenal tool and think it's probably the
best of the bunch, as it's all steel except the tray itself. It should be
here tomorrow. Bought thru Amazon who are the cheapest place to
order from. We shall see.
Denny