Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2020, 05:10 PM

Default 03A3 rear sight loose question

Hey guys, I have a 43 Remington that I love to shoot. However accuracy suffers due to the rear sight base being loose that moves side to side. It's the type of sight base that has no set screw( I think). When I center the windage I see a hole but it's not a set screw. My plan was to drift off the rear sight base and peen the dovetail. Is this an acceptable method? I've read about applying loctite but I'm not exactly sure where to apply it and it doesn't seem like a permanent fix. Any suggestions? Thank you, Rich

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2020, 05:29 PM

If you chip that dovetail you are in trouble. Locktite is a good idea. You should try to find a new sight and install it. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif-Steve View Post
If you chip that dovetail you are in trouble. Locktite is a good idea. You should try to find a new sight and install it. Good luck.
Thank you, I'll try this if need be. Do I apply the loctite where the rear sight base meets the dovetail? It would appear I would have to remove the base to run a good bead along the dovetail , or is it a dab on either side ?

Old 06-27-2020, 06:06 PM

Don't do anything to bugger up the receiver. Most rear sight assemblies are pretty tight, and a lot of the original bases were peened when first installed. I have sometimes had to drill through peen dents to remove damaged sight bases.

What you could do is drill a hole in the sight base and then drill and tap it for a set screw that takes an allen wrench to tighten down. Put locktite on that screw.

The other possibility already mentioned is to simply get a new rear sight assembly. They are available at very reasonable prices. Drift it in place using a wooden rod or block so you don't damage it with a metal tool.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

If you're going to remove the rear sight, remember they go on right to left and come off left to right.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:27 PM

Had some trouble with a loose rear sight mount on a Remington 03-A3. Fix was easy. I got a feeler gauge and ran blades under the rear sight until I found one that would barely go under from the back. This happened to be about the same as the thickness at the mouth of a .357 S&W Magnum cartridge case. So, I did a bit of fiddling, made a shim out of the cartridge case brass and drove it in from the rear under the 03-A3 rear sight mount. It has been there since 1992. It hasn't moved. I don't think it will ever move unless or until someone pushes it out with a hammer and thin screw driver blade. Can't imagine that ever happening. You could do the shim by just using a bit of a feeler gauge blade cut to size and filed to shape. It would not be a big deal. HTH. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:02 PM

This was on a Carbine but very similar. I took the loose sight off, peened the sight edges, cleaned both good with acetone and applied a couple drops of blue locktight and reassembled. Has never come loose.

Locktight may not hold if both surfaces are not completely cleaned and dried.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rapidly promoted by the mainstream media, which holds that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:32 AM

I've been able to re-peen a few if the recess for the peening has not been drilled out. Other option is to drill a recess on the opposite side that does not go all the way through and then peen at that point. Check the hole there now and see if it is threaded, may just be missing a set screw. If no threads check the hole size, may be able to thread it for a set screw as is or re-drill and tap for a slightly larger screw.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:31 AM

Thank you guys for all of the input and susuggestion. Highly appreciated!