Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2020, 03:43 PM

Default 1903A3 Remington unmarked stacking swivel ?

I got a 1903A3 Remington last week at the North Store, it appears to be all correct except for the unmarked stacking swivel ? So did Remington mark all their stacking swivels with an R or RS? or were some unmarked??
Old 06-27-2020, 03:59 PM

All Remington stacking swivels were marked with an "R", unless a worker inadvertently missed one. Perhaps you have a Smith-Corona stacking band.

Stay safe!

J.B.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:04 PM

J.B., weren’t SC stacking swivels parkerized?
Old 06-27-2020, 08:58 PM

Yes, SC stacking bands were blued and the swivels were parkerized.

J.B.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:16 PM

John, the unmarked blued stacking swivel I have is also attached to a blued ( not parked) band ? so it would not be SC ?? The Remington 1903A3 I have is serial# 3,892,xxx with a RA 6-43 barrel if that makes any difference?
Old 06-27-2020, 11:08 PM

Les 51,

Although SC stacking swivels were parkerized, they look blued. The swivels were not bead-blasted to roughen the appearance. They are quite smooth. If you look closely at an SC stacking band, you will note that the band and swivel appear blue, but the swivel has a slight greenish tint from the parkerizing.

Otherwise, you may have a reproduction band on your rifle.

Stay safe!

J.B.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:50 PM

John, I saw a Remington stacking swivel for sale on another site and noted the location and orientation of the R marking on it, I then took a strong magnifying glass and looked at that area very closely on my stacking swivel and it looks like there could be a straight and an angled legs of the R in that location, so I think it could be just a very lightly stuck R . The rifle then does appear to be all correct and probably an all original rifle with blued bayonet lug band,stacking swivel band, middle band,lower sling swivel,trigger housing and butt plate, NO rebuild cartouches and with about 95+% original finish, muzzle 0 and TE 1 , good bore, graded by Armorer PKS on 4/15/19.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:33 PM

PKS is Princeton K. Soh, a good friend and retired Army Blackhawk helicopter pilot who helps me inspect rifles.

J.B.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les 51 View Post
. . . .I then took a strong magnifying glass and looked at that area very closely on my stacking swivel and it looks like there could be a straight and an angled legs of the R in that location, so I think it could be just a very lightly stuck R . . . . . . .
Les . . . .I believe you’re correct!

I have a “R” marked stacking swivel with an EXTREMELY light stamping.

Without a glass, it would EASILY be mistaken for an SC swivel.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:24 PM

Les,

I bought a very similar rifle from the NS last Friday (06/26). Mine is a 4.10M (Dec. '43) with an 11/43 barrel. I thought that my muzzle and throat wear measurements were really good (0.5/1.0) but you have me beat. My rifle was also inspected by PKS.
The furniture on mine (bands, floorplate/trigger guard, and swivels are all blued. I believe that this is correct for early to mid-war production. In addition, the swivel screws on mine are both heavily swaged. If your swivel screws are similarly swaged, I think that it is likely that the R was lightly struck and that your rifle is all original (as I believe mine is).
I have included a link to some photos of mine including a 5-shot, 100 yard group shot with mine yesterday that floored me.
I would also like to thank John Beard for all of the valuable information that he shares on this forum and Princeton K. Soh for his work inspecting and repairing these excellent rifles. Gentlemen like them are a large part of what makes the CMP such a great organization.

https://imgur.com/a/doRwUoh