Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2020, 07:56 PM

Default Question on auction rifle

Currently there is an unissued 5.8 serial number Garand on the CMP auction site. It's a beautiful rifle but I noticed that the stock has no DAS on the stock. I thought that was odd. Can anyone shed any light on that? Thanks
Old 06-30-2020, 08:05 PM

Built on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon?
Old 06-30-2020, 08:41 PM

Also looks to be birch wood which would make it a replacement stock, not production. ??
Old 06-30-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARFTS View Post
Also looks to be birch wood which would make it a replacement stock, not production. ??
I thought the same thing, but I am looking on my phone and would prefer a nice big screen...
Old 07-01-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARFTS View Post
I think you're right Ted, no firing 'P' proof either. Someone switched that stock probably to obtain a near perfect DAS..............

Old 07-02-2020, 06:16 AM

Default RT

Who switched that stock? I thought CMP leaves things as they find them. I was down there when Floyd showed me 4 minty WRAs he pulled from one crate. They were basically issued by hardly used at all. No toe tags but suspect they came from a Naval vessel. SF
Old 07-02-2020, 09:32 AM

This happened to a bunch of later guns when put into storage. For some reason they put Overton stocks on all of them it seems. HRAs have been seen this way also. I've come to the conclusion they took all the Walnut stocks for rebuilds and put these up at a later date with the Birch replacements they had on hand. If Birch was used then the 6Mill would have Birch also and they didn't. I highly doubt they only packed away all these Birch guns if they were factory built with Birch. All signs point towards Birch being well after production of SA and HRA or IHC which in most cases was sent overseas IHC's that is. Rick BN
Old 07-02-2020, 03:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

What I remember hearing was that the Greeks took stocks off of brand new unissued rifles to do repairs and stock replacement with. That is where the older CMP Specials cams from, mint collector grade metal with replacement stocks. Maybe this auction rifle is one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerset Frisby View Post
Who switched that stock? I thought CMP leaves things as they find them. I was down there when Floyd showed me 4 minty WRAs he pulled from one crate. They were basically issued by hardly used at all. No toe tags but suspect they came from a Naval vessel. SF