Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2020, 10:20 PM

Default Remington 03-a3 front sight blade

Hello all, so I picked up a nice Remington 03-A3 and went to replace the front sight blade as it was damaged (only thing wrong with it). I bought the 2-pack from Amherst and was able to tap out the old one no problem. I went to put the new one in and it wouldn't slide in, so I decided to tap it in with my brass drift and it went in a little bit but stopped there. I tried different drifts with no luck and ended up bending the blade. So, with one left I tried to look around but couldn't find any thing to help with installing the blade. Anyone here have any ideas? Could the blade be wrong? It said it was for an 03A3 and I read that 03's and 03A3's have different pin locations. Amherst is the only place I can find 03A3 blades so I went with that. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:13 PM

Bill Bentz has the USMC style. There are dead on. Try Bill. I might add this, 03 and 03A3 sight blades are very different.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:24 PM

Thank you for the information
Old 07-01-2020, 04:43 AM

The blades are supposed to be .050 wide (Marine types are .050 wide at the bottom and .100 above the base).

xllx@msn.com
Old 07-01-2020, 05:35 AM

Bill Bentz
dcm450shtr@comcast.net
Old 07-01-2020, 09:01 PM

Does anyone know how to install the new blade into the front sight. Is it normally tapped in? Or does it just slide in and tap the pin in.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:23 PM

Often times the base holding the blade has been damaged or peened. If you were able to get the old one out, then congratulations. I would suggest you get some of those inexpensive small files from Harbor Freight or such, and gently slide them in the sight slot to clean up the outer edges of burrs and such. Then check the fit of the new blade. It should not "drop" in but fit snug before installing the pin. I would install from the front, which allows you to tap the relatively flatter surface of the front of the blade if needed.
Just try to keep it from pivoting front first in the slot, as that sharp point may catch on the bottom of the slot, which can be a pain to adjust without touching the blade.

Just an FYI - the A3 blades came in multiple heights, and were marked. Most replacements are the A size, the tallest, and may need filed down for your rifle.

Last edited by DougS; 07-01-2020 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGMK2 View Post
Does anyone know how to install the new blade into the front sight. Is it normally tapped in? Or does it just slide in and tap the pin in.

As I recall, the slot in the front sight base is slightly swaged closed at the top. To install a new blade, insert the rear tail of the blade into the slot at the bottom front. The using a small hammer, tap the blade towards the rear until the pin holes align.

Good Luck! And stay safe!

J.B.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:33 AM

Unless the slot is damaged or blocked, there should be no major problem driving in the sight blade. I use a hardwood block to protect the blade. It is good that it fits tight. The top of the sight base can be squeezed in a vise slightly if too loose. Good Shooting. ...
Old 07-02-2020, 08:19 PM

Thank you for the responses. I'll try those methods out and report back in.