Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmark View Post
. . . . .I've also read if you take a ball peen hammer and hit the lsn receiver with sufficient force, that receiver will shatter because it is so brittle.
Yup . . . .Iíve seen this happen!

Shattered like GLASS!
Old 06-28-2020, 08:21 AM

Regarding the shattering of a receiver: this is caused by stress. It could be a very high pressure that causes it, like an over charged cartridge or deeply seated bullet, an obstructed barrel, or any number of other factors.

But stress is something that can build up over time, and a brittle receiver (or other part) can take the same amount of pressure time and again until that final time.

I recall one time, back when every military desk had a large glass ashtray on it, I accidentally brushed against one and it went straight down to the tile floor. It hit and bounced up several inches, still intact. But when it touched back down, it literally exploded, sending small pieces of shattered glass all over the floor. The first hit stressed it, and the second one put it over the limit.

More recently, I fired an old Remington Model 11 Shotgun (made in 1914). I had shot it many times before, but this one time (firing only light target loads) the forend completely shattered into several pieces in my hand. That piece is actually a working part of the Model 11, engaging the recoil spring and absorbing recoil with each shot. It was simply its time, suddenly, after more than a century of reliable service.

I guess my point is that if a lot of previous study indicates a possible danger in firing a "low number" 1903 rifle, then take appropriate precautions and err on the side of safety.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:23 AM

Yes they will break. I had a LNR and the bolt would not come out. It would move forward into battery but it would not come out past the rear receiver ring. I tried everything and than decided to move the bolt back and gave the handle of the bolt a good hit with the hammer. Booom there goes the rear half of the receiver. The receiver split and the rear receiver ring shattered. But the bolt came out.

I saved it, but will have to go dig it up.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
Yes they will break. I had a LNR and the bolt would not come out. It would move forward into battery but it would not come out past the rear receiver ring. I tried everything and than decided to move the bolt back and gave the handle of the bolt a good hit with the hammer. Booom there goes the rear half of the receiver. The receiver split and the rear receiver ring shattered. But the bolt came out.

I saved it, but will have to go dig it up.
Back around 1968, the Department of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) had a "trade-in" program in which you could send them a low number receiver in exchange for a high number one. At the time other DCM 1903 parts were available for pennies, but it was the only way to obtain a 1903 or 03A3 receiver from them.

That program (as well as the DCM) no longer exists, but it does indicate how seriously the "low number receiver" issue was treated.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:46 PM

FWIW

http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/