Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2020, 02:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Another alternative: get an adapter and shoot .32 ACP, .32 S&W, or .30 Carbine ammo.

If adapters are still available.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/197720
ACEP-certified coach

Last edited by rcolarco; 06-24-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:41 PM

47 gr of Varget works fine for me under a Sierra 110 hp varminter set off with 210m primers.
I shoot a bunch of that load through my 03s, 03A4 and works well in my M1s.
RVN 67-68
Old 07-01-2020, 06:52 PM

Finally got to try some stuff!
I loaded up a few with 110gr Hornady SP's, being pushed by 50.6gr Varget. A little less recoil, but really not much different than the lower end of the regular loads for 150gr projectiles. That was lowest published load I could find in my books. Still probably a little too much kick for the older guy that I wanted to let shoot the rifle.
I finally had the opportunity to get my hands on some Trail Boss. I loaded up a few from 13.3 to 18gr. with 150gr fmjbt Hornady bullets. Man! What a blast! Recoil was comparable to my daughters' Red Riders! It shot WAAAY low, but once I figured out how low, it was really accurate at the lowest charge and highest charge, but not so great in the mid range. That follows just about everything I was able to find online about it.
Thanks guys, for all the advice! Hopefully the guy at the club will be happy to shoot the 1903 finally!
Old 07-01-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolarco View Post
Another alternative: get an adapter and shoot .32 ACP, .32 S&W, or .30 Carbine ammo.

If adapters are still available.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/197720
One of my favorite toys for my LN 1903.
I have one in .32ACP and one in .30 Carbine.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:11 AM

You might want to also try loading 15 to 20 grains of Alliant/Hercules 2400 powder, pushing a 100 to 120 grain bullet. Very low recoil and decent accuracy at short ranges under 100 yards.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:25 PM

I had great luck with Trail Boss. My load with a 175 gr cast gas checks worked great. According to my notes, my last 5 shot group averaged 1564fps with 22fps extreme spread and 7fps standard deviation. Due to the nature of trail boss and working up powder charges, I won’t share the charge weight because your bullet could be different as far as where the base ends up in the case when seated.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyrifle View Post
I had great luck with Trail Boss. My load with a 175 gr cast gas checks worked great. According to my notes, my last 5 shot group averaged 1564fps with 22fps extreme spread and 7fps standard deviation. Due to the nature of trail boss and working up powder charges, I won’t share the charge weight because your bullet could be different as far as where the base ends up in the case when seated.
What kind of groups did you get?
ACEP-certified coach
Old 07-05-2020, 05:03 AM

Have only gone to 50 yards with that so far but group was just over an inch. Likely will shoot better as I was testing powder charges to see how the powder reacted. Half a grain more powder started showing instability on the chronograph and group went to poop. Trail Boss doesn’t like even the slightest bit of compression.

I’ve had good luck with bottleneck cases and reduced loads. Not so much with straight wall loads and Trail Boss with rifle cases.