Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2020, 08:45 AM

Default N140 or N135 over the usual suspects for Garand/M1A

Hello all-

I am very new to all of this reloading. I've decided to get my feet wet, as the prices of ammunition are getting no cheaper, and I'd like to start getting some additional accuracy out of my firearms.

So I'm going to start with my favorite rifles, the M1 and M1A. I was looking through the Hornady manual, and they talked about using N135 or N140 (or even N150, but I'm not sure about that one) in either rifles. I would load more than likely 168gr bullets for both rifles, perhaps the SMK, or maybe the Hornady ELD/Amax.

Does anyone have a recommendation that would want me to think about using those two powders over the usual IMR4064 or 4895? Any compelling reason, or just different? The powder seems more expensive, but maybe that's for a great reason.

Again, I'm exceedingly new to all this reloading, so forgive me if I haven't included information that would help in your answers.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2020, 08:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

I don't know why you are not sure about N-150. Hornady says they got their best results with it. I suppose it is as good a place to start as any.

I use Varget and 4064. These produce results that are good enough for me.

If you are really conflicted about this, try them all and see what is best for you. National championships have been won with all of them.

Winners use Sierra bullets more than any others. I have never been impressed with Hornady match bullets, but you may have different results.

You have to try a lot of different things to find your groove.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 06-26-2020, 09:27 AM

This thread has some information on N-135 and N-140 in 30.06 with 168 grain bullets:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=29638

I use IMR 4064 for 168's in my M1 and M1903. What happened with me, and I think this is probably not uncommon, is that I messed around with a bunch of different loads until I eventually decided that one of them (4064 with a 168 SMK) was good enough and called my M1 / M1903 load development done. I've used that same load for years and never had a reason to change.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:18 PM

Cost vs accuracy is the only reason to use 4895 over n140. If both rifles are match conditioned, maybe the n140 would make a difference then. This wheel has already been designed.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:30 PM

These responses are pretty much what I thought. Yes it may help, but reinventing the wheel isn't wholly necessary unless I'm dying to try a new powder at some point.

Reloading sure seems like a fun time, I still have lots to learn for sure. Hoping to start with a setup soon.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
Cost vs accuracy is the only reason to use 4895 over n140. If both rifles are match conditioned, maybe the n140 would make a difference then. This wheel has already been designed.
Cost per round of one powder vs another is not worth worrying about. Kind of like worrying about cost of one primer vs another.
Cost of the bullet per round is another issue.
A bigger concern would be "I have now found the magic load, too bad no one stocks the powder I need".
Old 06-27-2020, 05:52 PM

Of the three powders, N135, N140, and N150, N150 fills the case best at Garand-nominal velocities with the 168-grain A-max and has Garand-friendly muzzle pressure. N135 has the next-best case fill and higher peak, but lower muzzle pressure. Still, both are in Garand-friendly ranges. N140 works out to have the lowest case fill of the three. This is running in the 2700 fps range.

Gunsite Orange Hat Family Member
CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Patron Member
ORPA Life Member
Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM

I'm trying out the Dave Emory recommendation of 46.3 gr N135 with the 168 Matchking.
With REACH compliance coming to a Canada and Australia near you... I predict GD and ADI/Thales will go green in this decade, dropping the historic IMR and H stick powders we traditionally use. So go green early with tried and known alternatives.
VV
Alliant (Bofors)
Norma (Bofors)
Accurate Ball Powders (PB Clermont)
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM

If you are choosing a powder that is widely recommended for the rifles and cartridges of interest, the specific powder used is far down the list of factors affecting accuracy and function. Beyond that, the selection of 168-175gr bullets suggests the shooting will be focused on 600yd plus. I am skeptical that this is really the OP's intent. I say this because anyone into long range shooting would be unlikely to be asking such questions on this forum. I apologize if I have read this wrongly, but I suspect the OP would benefit from wider reading of previous material of this subject in these forums. Good Shooting..