Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2020, 07:30 PM

All:
I'm not the OP but when he states, ".....Came with the original DoD hang tag from Crane, a letter from Jim Audel (SP) and a blank range book....."

I assume he means a letter from Jim Adell came with the rifle.....

OP:
You said a letter from Jim Adell came with the rifle... what does it say?
Old 04-11-2020, 09:00 PM

Default Even More Photos

Hang tag and Adell's letter

Last edited by Big_Red; 04-12-2020 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Reduce insanely large pics
Old 04-20-2020, 04:45 PM

No pics to be seen here but sounds like a match rifle. Only question is A or B.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvansvilleIHC View Post
No pics to be seen here but sounds like a match rifle. Only question is A or B.
Grade B.....from the pics.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:44 PM

Congrats on your Grade B. At bottom is a link to a few photos of the one I acquired from the award winner (retired Navy) about 6 months ago. Some comments.

I was able to connect with Jim Adell and send him the photos. We also talked at length about these rifles. He sent me a listing showing my rifle to among the Grade B rifles that went through Crane Indiana.

1. Note the colors of this rifle are almost identical to OP's new rifle. If you look at areas that have been sanded you will see the matching blond color underneath. These were all stained that dark color. And the polyurethane finish is same as OPs. And the bands are covered in the stuff as well.

2. No evidence of white paint on the front sight of this one.

3. Note the photo with the small numbers on the barrel. The 4 digit one is 3072. Jim did not know what the 089 was. He said the 3072 was the air gauge number for the barrel. He said that when new mandrels were used they gauged closer to 3080. As the mandrel wore the bore diameter would get smaller and smaller. He said that barrels gauging in the low 3070 range and below (some were 306x when mandrel really worn) were selected for their inherently better accuracy potential (tighter bore). Not all were marked like this. Can't see without taking action out of stock. To the OP, check for these numbers when and if removed from stock again.

4. Note mark at rear of bolt. 75. Could be the build year as suggested. Didn't notice this until I saw the OPs picks.

5. Note the mark on top of the rear band. B5. This could signify a Grade B and the year 75. Jim did not know what this was.

6. Note the bedding is a darkish brown. Will not routinely remove stock as advised. Just had to examine, and I know the rifle was probably issued for a match in its past. See Note 7.

7. Note the trigger group does not share same last 4 as the rifle. Jim said that these rifles were routinely brought to big matches by the Navy to support shooters. He says not uncommon for trigger groups to get swapped in the Navy van when servicing a group of these rifles. After return, they were brought back to Crane and later issued as trophy rifles. Unfired ones are on the rare side and more valuable.

8. Front sight is not NM and neither is the rear, consistent with Grade Bs.

9. Note the rear ring of the gas cylinder is bored out so as not to touch the barrel.

10. The trigger breaks very cleanly at 4.5#, the min for HP rifle competition.

11. Note that while the front hand guard is unitized it is NOT screwed into the lower band. Also common as mentioned by Jim.

CAUTION! Do not pick up this rifle (or any match conditioned M1) at the front handguard. It's only a glue joint holding it to the lower band, and it can be broken by doing this.

12. No 308 spacer, and no inletting for it in the stock.

13. Single slot gas screw.

Jim also mentioned that these match rifles were headspaced much shorter than the standard issue Navy M1s. Doesn't come close to closing on a No Go gauge, whereas my Navy M1 will almost close on it.

So how does mine shoot? Groups of 8 rounds were 2-3 inch range. They were nice and round. (from 100 meters on a bench).

BTW, in the trade acquisition for this rifle, I also got a match conditioned 308 award rifle. It appears it could have been done in the Navy Van. The bedding is grayish and a bit on the sloppy side. Has NM sights. Shoots as well as the Grade B. And the gem of the trade was an unfired 0-66 marine rebuild. Still has the barrel straw in it. Not shooting that one. The 0-66 pics were posted on this forum a while back. Note that all these rifles were trophy guns.

Link to Grade B trophy rifle photos: https://imgur.com/a/D7FBExO

Link to 0-66 Marine Rebuild trophy rifle photos: https://imgur.com/a/GKdFxAK
Old 04-22-2020, 09:16 PM

Thanks, appreciate the excellent description.

PS. Is there a reason why my Imagur photos keep disappearing?
Old 04-22-2020, 09:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLeader View Post
Thanks, appreciate the excellent description.

PS. Is there a reason why my Imagur photos keep disappearing?
I can see all your pics.....
Old 04-23-2020, 11:02 AM

Default Another example for comparison

For comparison here are a few photos of mine which is very similar to the others posted.

Of note regarding mine:

The trigger housing had previously been used on another rifle and electric pen marked with it's 4 digits, it was then re purposed for this rifle by lining out these numbers and adding the new last 4 digits of this rifle. Also note that both the trigger housing and bolt are in the same handwriting style however, the bolt is marked 7635 vs the correct 7535 which I believe is just human error. This is a verified example that came out of the Crane inventory.

https://imgur.com/a/DMY9LsC
Old 04-23-2020, 08:07 PM

Default Crane Navy's`

They sure liked the birch front furniture

Last edited by TFLeader; 04-24-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:42 AM

I was awarded an M1 Garand rifle as a trophy in the All Navy Matches of 1994. It has a lot of the same features of the rifle shown in the photos posted.

The rifle has a WW II Springfield receiver, and had gone through a complete rebuild. It had a new barrel, a NM marked op rod, and was electro penciled with an O-66 number. It also had some of the white number markings like shown in the photos. My stock and handguards were all new, but I think that they were dark birch or beech rather than walnut. They are of a very plain grain.