Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2020, 08:28 PM

Col. Colt, thanks for the info on the buckle. I will see if I can locate one for my sling.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:48 PM

Hi 1923 sling fans,

Do to real life issues & time restraints, I finally ordered my 1923 sling
TODAY!!!
Really nice company to deal with more then knolagable helpful people.

Thanks for your input & reply's,
broom
Old 04-29-2020, 03:55 PM

I am looking at what is reported to be an original 1942 WWII M1923 web sling with the marking B.M. Co.
The stamp is extremely clear, almost new looking and the web seems to be in very good condition. Some irregular coloring but does not look new. Buckles and metal look to be in good condition. Some shiny edges which appear to be from use.
Two questions:
1) How would one identify if this is original or reproduction?
2) What might it be worth?

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:35 PM

Has all the characteristics of a real one. The webbing is a thinner greenish tan color on real ones.
Early ones have all the metal parts as darkened brass with rounded ends. Later ones were steel in a light grayish finish and the strap ends are flat. All parts should either be brass or steel.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:19 AM

It has the greenish tan color and the web end caps are rounded. It appears to be in very good condition. So it sounds like it might be the real deal.

What do these go for?

This is in an estate auction and is at $51 so far, but there is still 5 days left so if it is desirable, it will rise pretty quickly towards the end.

Thank you for your help.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:00 AM

A couple of years ago, when I bought an original M1923 in solid, about as nice condition as yours sounds like, I paid about $160 plus shipping - and regarded that as a very decent price, as I had seen several go for over $200 on Ebay in the months before, with one crazy auction with several bidders (it was really Brand New, though) go for $330.00!

If you can get an original for around $200 these days, I would think that to be an excellent deal. They look great on an original M1 or M1903 and even knowledgeable US.mil folks will ask "what is that", particularly at the range. "I've never seen one...." Kind of fun, and it is better than an M1907, in my book.

The reproductions are easy to tell - much thicker webbing, obviously New and most are marked with the original style ink stamp - but also have the current manufacturers ink stamp across from it - they are not trying to sell fakes.

The original M1923s I have work great, but the new ones heavy weave feels better and very non-slip on the arm. Trouble is, it is very hard to lock the WWII original keeper down with the new thicker web. I have ordered some new reproduction keepers from an ebay supplier to see if they lock down easier. If not, I will dremel out the top of the tab holes a bit for an easier fit. Busy with work right now, though.

Good luck with the auction - hopefully no one else will understand exactly what it is! CC
Old 05-01-2020, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the information. We will see where it ends up.
I have been a little to free with purchases lately with this lock down. If it gets too expensive I may have to pass.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:07 PM

Well didn't get the sling. It went for around $175, I was not able to make the last bid as the auction timed out, too slow of a connection.

It was nice and claimed that it may have never been issued. Had one bidder that I was against and he obviously wanted it.

Thanks again for every ones help.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:58 AM

(Edited on 5/15/2020) - Well, I learned something I did not know about USGI Metal Sling Keepers/Lockdown tabs! There are two "thicknesses" of metal keepers - one for the flatter, older 1940's web straps and then one for the thicker, "Post WWII" Cotton Web! Apparently Starlight is just installing (out of their supply of Real but Used USGI Keepers), either style that comes to hand on the assembly line - they don't go on rifles at the plant, they just go in the box. Thus it can be almost impossible to completely lock the tab down on their improved, thicker modern web material they use if you get an earlier "thin" keeper by luck of the draw.

So, regarding the American Fabrics/New Production M1923 Slings (on the Starlite Drums website and also on Ebay) I just recieved four of the new production "Cotton" version sling keepers from AmmoGarand and now the new M1923 slings are absolutely awesome to work with! I've been playing with adjusting to the different positions for carry, parade, shooting sling - very nice. The M1923 is a now a clear winner over the M1907, for me! I have bought a total of two khaki (pre and early WWII for period rifles) and one OD Green American Fabrics/Starlight slings for an M1 and am very happy.

Also, the current production heavy cotton style weave is actually better than the original USGI in use on your shoulder - more "nubby" and sticks to the arm much better than the older, GI flat web - making it even better as a shooting and a carry sling. The M1923 Sling has been Improved - in 2020!

So, if you have purchased a new production M1923 and find the WWII GI Keeper too hard to close, just get the new production "Cotton" style keeper for about $4.00 from AmmoGarand (they also list them on Ebay with quantity discounts) - it makes the new M1923 sling perfect! CC

Last edited by Col. Colt; 05-16-2020 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Clarifying comment on different keepers.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:31 PM

See my revised posting above on this subject.