Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2018, 11:25 AM

Default Another rear sight question

I finally got my carbine sighted in last weekend, just at 50 yards, but had to wind the rear sight all the way over to the left to get rounds in the black. I adjusted that partially after I got home with the installation tool so I can re-zero it and have some leeway left to adjust l/r, but the whole sight assembly is visibly off-center to get that. Over 1/16, close to 1/8 inch.

This doesn't seem completely unheard of, browsing through the forum, but it still bugs me. Am I nuts, or is this okay to run the gun that way, or is there something else I might be missing? Front sight assembly, etc...?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-01-2018, 11:50 AM

If you look at a lot of carbines, even pictures, you will notice it's not all that uncommon to see the rear sight skewed to the left. Short of a bent barrel, it all depends on where the barrel rotation winds-up after it was torqued-down. The front sight key-way is machined onto the barrel before it's installed.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:51 AM

You could check the barrel to make sure its properly indexed to the receiver. It's possible it's off. But as you say, the issue is not unheard of I have an Underwood like that.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:12 PM

"but had to wind the rear sight all the way over to the left to get rounds in the black."
Very common, Don't worry about it. But still check barrel and front sight as suggested above to make sure they are ok..
Old 01-02-2018, 07:48 PM

Default Keeper Carbines ... Rear Aperture Centered ...

Keeper Carbines should shoot down the pipe right to left with that pesky rear aperture exactly centered. Like already said, first thing is to check the barrel index marks on the bottom rear of the barrel. There should be another index mark on the receiver bottom front. The index marks should line up exactly. Should. Exactly. Good luck with that. Forlorn hope.

If they do and the Carbine still shoots off either right to left, (like you can not get the gun to print) then run a series of barrel straightness gages down the bore ... gently. Easy to get one really stuck in the bore. Do not ask ... embarrassing. You barrel may be slightly bent. It did happen. 70 year old gun. Each has a history. Corrective action is a new barrel.

Also a good bolt to match the new barrel. Expect to finish ream the chamber? Try to find new to you an excellent condition USGI barrel. Good luck with that also. Or ... like already said just try to crank that pesky rear site aperture way off either right or left. THEN ... try longer ranges. If the barrel is bent the bullets will fly off just about anywhere. Yikes!

Edited Extra nobody will read: If your rear aperture is way off to the left, (more common) or to the right ... BUT the Carbine hits the target at 100 yards in a fairly small CENTERED six inch group that is about as good as it normally gets. Old gun. Again, quite a long history. If you want you can drift the rear site assembly but only to the right. The left is difficult.

Easy to crack the receiver around the dovetail. It might be easier to remove the rear site assembly, (move to the right) and gently remove material from around the site base. Go slow. Reinstall the site. You do not want to remove any receiver material ... just the site material instead. Slow fitting. The gun will look silly but that pesky rear site will be centered.

A good gunsmith might be able to tap the barrel straight. Hard to do.

Last edited by HB of CJ; 01-10-2018 at 11:24 PM. Reason: s/s w/w s/p added
Old 01-06-2018, 05:27 AM

no you're not nuts. It bugs the crap out of me as well. I've actually turned down a decent deal on an original Inland because the sight was skewed to one side.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:55 AM

Only had one carbine that the sight was way off when I got it from CMP. My Bavarian Rural Police Inland. The entire sight was off set to the right and the adjustment was off to the right also. Checked the witness mark on the bottom of the barrel and receiver and the two were dead on. Got a bit concerned and used the sight pusher to center the base and moved the peep to center. At the range it was dead on the elevation and windage on the 25 yard sight in target.

Got me to wondering about it. It is a 6 digit serial number 999,453, high wood, I cut stock, Type 1 barrel band and everything else matched. I got it right before they were all gone. It was a Rack Grade! I can't help but wonder if this one had an original flip sight that was removed an installed on one that was even more rare at CMP? Just kidding but why was the sight not fully installed? Umm?

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index [email protected]

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA