Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2018, 11:07 AM

Default Saying Thanks to CMP And Their Armorers.

I was lucky enough to receive a Saginaw SG M-1 Carbine during the last offering in 2016. It was a rebuilt Service Grade mixmaster that showed little use. I did notice over time that I had to dial the rear sight all the way to the left to get it to print on paper. I did some research and discovered that the IBM Corp. barrel was overindexed to the left by quite a bit.

Since I did not have the tools or expertise to correct this situation, I felt that the best way to deal with the problem was to contact CMP Customer Service about fixing the problem.

I sent CMP an e-mail on 11/27/17 describing the problem and offering to pay for shipping both ways, labor and parts, since I had already had the rifle for over a year. I wasn't expecting to hear anything until after the first of the year, since I know they are crazy busy.

To my surprise, I received an answer from Larry Champion on 11/30/17, telling me that they would be mailing me a shipping label to return the rifle, that I was to include a copy of my receipt and explain about the problem.

I FEDEX'ed the rifle to CMP on 12/05/17 and again did not expect to hear anything, but then received calls from Mike in the Armorer's Section discussing the problem and what they were offering to do. He offered to change out the overindexed IBM Corp. barrel with a Service Grade Saginaw original barrel, since the IBM Corp. barrel was not proper for the Saginaw SG anyway and to check out the rifle for function. I again offered to pay for all work and shipping, but was told not to worry about it.

I received a second call on 12/11/17 from Mike explaining that they had changed out the barrel and put on a new front sight (apparently besides the IBM barrel being overindexed) the original sight was bent. They then checked out the sighting with a laser and test fired the rifle.

I received the M-1 Carbine back on 12/19/17. There were no charges of any kind and I now have a M-1 Carbine with a properly indexed Saginaw S.G. General Motors Corp barrel with a proper front sight.

What can I say except THANK YOU to CMP and the Armorer's Section. I am no one special and did not expect this exceptional treatment.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:24 PM

That is awesome service and a testament to the good folks at CMP!
S.G. barrels aren't easy to find either.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:54 PM

That's awesome! I also have a carbine from those 2016 sales. Having a similar issue, basically my front sight may of been filed down too much, at 50 yards I have to aim 1-2" below center mass to hit center mass. I've emailed the armorers to see what can be done.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks762 View Post
That's awesome! I also have a carbine from those 2016 sales. Having a similar issue, basically my front sight may of been filed down too much, at 50 yards I have to aim 1-2" below center mass to hit center mass. I've emailed the armorers to see what can be done.
Well, a front sight that's "filed down too much" is very common on carbines due to rear right replacement from a type 1. In practice the military did not replace the sights with new ones. Because of this I would not expect CMP to fix something like that.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:06 PM

Default Bench Rest Sight In MAY Be Necessary ...

Most respectfully. The laser bore sighter setting and the actual Carbine printing may not be the same. You might have to bench the Carbine at 25 yards to see where the bullets strike.

The rear site aperture must be exactly centered. Ideally. If OK at 25 yards, then go to 50. Then 75. Then 100. Then stretch out to 150 yards. Ultimately go for 200 yards. Ideally. Good luck.

Sometimes there is no logical explanation for where the sights are set and where the bullets end up going. The laser will get you close. The bench rest with good eyes is the clincher.

Respectfully.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:36 PM

The CMP is putting out a lot of military surplus rifles with a relatively small staff. So things happen!! Their level of customer service is second to none!! Glad they took care of your issue!!
Old 01-10-2018, 09:46 PM

Can't say that I've ever done business with an organization that is as customer focused as the staff at the South Store. They are an awesome bunch of folks!
Old 01-11-2018, 08:35 AM

I couldn't agree more, the CMP as a whole has the best customer service I've ever experienced.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:28 PM

Life gets in the way, but finally got to shoot this Carbine today. After break in, shot basically one hole 2 inch groups at 25 yards three inches high, sorry, that is all the distance I had access to today. Couldn't be happier. Thanks CMP.

Have to admit though, used Aquilla Ammo and it was very dirty. I got the usual blackened, sooted empty cases.

Last edited by GM1MAN; 02-17-2018 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:50 AM

I also have a carbine from the 2016 sales and the front sight has been filed down. I know that this was routinely done by the military and I would never expect the CMP to replace my front sight. KS762 didn't purchase a new out of the box carbine and it functions as expected for a service grade carbine.