Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 01:51 PM

Default How do you "repark" the gas cylinder?

My searching abilities are not the best so here we go.

I know the gas cylinder is made of stainless and doesn't accept parkerizing, soooo how do you get it black/grey? Are you using paint/site paint/zippo? What method are you using?
Old 04-10-2013, 03:13 PM

2 common methods are high temp black paint and Caswells Stainless Steel Blackener 370
Old 04-12-2013, 07:16 PM

Forget the high temp paint, it just doesnt hold up if you shoot very much. If your rifle is a Safe Queen it might work for you
Old 04-14-2013, 09:38 AM

I use header paint, works OK, after you paint it, either put the assy in the oven and bake it or take the gun out and shoot it and get the gas cyl hot, it works for me
Old 04-14-2013, 10:32 AM

Caswells it the best method.

Degrease, Bead blast, Soak in Caswells for 30 seconds, Frest water rinse, Spray with WD40 and it will look just like the park on post war SA barrels. Almost jet black.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:04 AM
GSM Master Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in SC View Post
Caswells it the best method.
Best perhaps for a commercially available/hobbyist sort of application...

If you really want it done right, I'd say the best way currently is to contact our own "Hueygunner" here via PM, he can refinish your cylinder with the proper mil-spec chemicals, one of the few out there that still does them like that. I am sure you'll be pleased!
Mike B
Old 04-14-2013, 04:09 PM

Red face blackening

caswell is good for soft porous stainless it will not coat harder stainless very good. the part should first soaked in a real good oil and gum remover then bead blasted to take out the compounds then as a must a very strong pickling acid that means absolute cleaning of the metal with muriatic acid dips.
then pre blackener dip.
the final dip is critical the stuff must be boiled at exactly 250 degrees and might take 2 or 3 redips to get it coated then after blackening the part must be cold rinsed then immediately dipped in milc-16173 grade 1 corrosion preventative liquid for at least an hour the metal will suck up the preventitive to seal it from corroding. yes even stainless can rust.
caswell will not hold up as well as the stuff i use which has some really caustic stuff called sodium hydroxide yes the same nasty stuff used in the missus's oven cleaner.
its tough to do something cheap. cheap methods means cheap not quality.
i do this for a reasonable fee. you pay the freight. i did skeets m1 gas cylinder and gaslock and plug for him.
have him post a pic. jeff
Old 04-14-2013, 06:19 PM

Exclamation

Huey does great work and yes, it's more true to the original finish and no doubt, over time, more durable than Caswell's.

I've done about a dozen with Caswell's and they have all held up quite well. I really is all in the prep and the post treatment. Someone mentioned using WD40 as a post treatment. Bad mistake. Save the WD40 for cleaning price label glue off your water glasses and stopping door squeaks. That's about all it's good for. It will do more harm as a post treatment than good. Gas plugs don't hold the blackening well (too Hard I think) and some gas cylinder locks are difficult. GC's? Never had a problem, except for one that must have had a horrible mix of alloys in the casting. It looked like camo after blackening and ended up getting header painted...also with decent results.

Larry
Old 04-15-2013, 08:03 PM

Default "Parking" a gas cylinder

Obviously , the gas cylinders cannot be "parked" because they are stainless steel. I use Brounell's Oxinate 84 to chemically blue the cylinders. (they come out black)
A certain well-known parkerizer says that I do the best stainless steel blueing in the country.

I can do you cylinder, plug, lock, sight & stacking swivel for $12, + $6 return shipping. Quantity prices available.
Tony Giacobbe, The Garand Guy

Last edited by Gman366; 04-30-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:08 AM

I tried the caswell stainless steel blackener in gel , figured it be a little easier to work with in small workspace. Although it came out looking better than the original worn finish it's not really that "black".
It came out ok , not worth the price I feel though. Also the caswell sealer is a waste....it's like a water based clear coat and made the gas cylinder shiny...paint thinner seemed to take it off. I did many applications of the gel until the cyl. Did not get darker. I'm still debating sending them out?