Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2017, 04:02 PM

Default Sighting the M-1 Carbine

Yesterday was the first time in a few years I had the chance to go shooting.
The person doing the carpentry and repairs on our home has over 1000 acres of farm land. Way in the back in a nice secluded area he has a shooting range.
Well my 14 year old son has been begging to get out and shoot these CMP rifles I have picked up over the years. Well long story short after shooting the .22's we moved on to the high power starting with the M-1 Carbine. It' has been a few years and I just drew a blank about how to sight it in. We were shooting at 100yards we had about an hour of daylight left. The rear sight is an adjustable Milled type.
Any help ????? on adjusting those sities?
We ended up finding out if we shot below the target (6 o'clock position) and slightly to the left we could hit the target which was a metal plate.
Keep in mind it was progressively getting dark and harder to see the sights and target.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:12 PM

Move the rear sight in the direction you want to move point of impact. If you are aiming low left to hit the target...need to move the rear sight aperture left and down to bring line of sight and point of impact together.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:23 AM

Default Let me think about that

But were you sighting an M1 CARBINE (not a Garand)? They don't really have elevation-adjustable sights unless you file off some of the front sight. (Or move the rear sight range slider to a higher/lower setting) And filing only corrects for low Points Of Impact (lower front sight = higher POI?) Is that right?

And moving the REAR sight to the left should force the POI more to the left. I always thought front sight = bad child (does the opposite of what you want) and rear sight = good child (moves in the same direction you want to go).

I would move the rear sight just slightly to the right if you want your POI to move right, and the only way to raise the POI would be to file the front sight down. ... VERY carefully and VERY slowly - a stroke of the file at a time and then recheck. You can't put filed material back on the sight. Well, you can, but ... never mind.

Or try setting the rear sight for a longer range to raise the POI (the bullet hits sooner during the ballistic arc?). IIRC, setting the sight range to 200 yds for a 100yd target raises the POI for a 100yd target. Or have I got that backwards? I am sure the experts can correct me and straighten me out. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:17 AM

Default Sighting the M-1 Carbine

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.
I will be out there again next weekend.
We can go further to about 200 yards if need be, it's that large of a farm.
One thing is for sure
I forgot how much fun shooting the M-1 Carbine can be.
My son shot it AND my wife toooo and it was her first time EVER shooting a gun she liked it so much she wants to come back and shoot.
We burned through over 240 rounds of .30 carbine !! The heat must have loosened some deep buried residue in the barrel because when my son went to clean the gun the patches were pitch black and it took almost an hour to clean it up !! He loved it and that carbine a Postal Meter which I purchased when CMP had those returns from Italy looked beautiful when he was finished and the inside of the barrel is now mirror shinny.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:03 PM

I'd wouldn't "start" trying to sight in an unknown carbine at 100 yards (or 200 yards). You'll find hitting paper way easier if you start at 25 yards and walk back.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meplat View Post
I'd wouldn't "start" trying to sight in an unknown carbine at 100 yards (or 200 yards). You'll find hitting paper way easier if you start at 25 yards and walk back.

Probably not bad advice for many people, but 25 yards has been unnecessary for me. I use 100 yds distance with SR1 targets and bench rest with my adjustable sight carbines. Haven't had any trouble finding the holes yet.

Unless you have a bent barrel or something similarly wacky, you should be able to at least hit paper on an SR1 target at 50 yards with adjustable sights.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:43 PM

Stop wasting ammo trying to sight in a carbine at 100 yards. Use the target in the link. It is a 25 yard sight in target. Set the black bull on top of the front sight and, with adjustable sights, adjust to place all rounds in the black. You are zeroed for 100 yards. Go from there.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index [email protected]

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 12-04-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.2009 View Post
Stop wasting ammo trying to sight in a carbine at 100 yards. Use the target in the link. It is a 25 yard sight in target. Set the black bull on top of the front sight and, with adjustable sights, adjust to place all rounds in the black. You are zeroed for 100 yards. Go from there.

Nice target. Can you set up a download link. The one you posted doesn't work for me. Perhaps puting it in Dropbox and posting the Dropbox link would be workable
Old 12-04-2017, 07:51 PM

Default sighting M1 carbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.2009 View Post

Agree. The bull is the same width as the front sight blade and evens works with older eyes. I use the same target for M1 rifles.With the sight set at 200 yards the group should be 0.45" above the bottom of the bull. I can usually sight in this way and then be right on at 500 yards with the rear sight set at 500 yards. Carbines sighted in on this target are usually on target with all the elevation settings in my experience.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:20 AM

Default Try this...

I worked up the target from TM9-1276 (February, 1953, pg. 53) into a Microsoft PowerPoint slide, so I can print as many as I need.

The dimensions of the bull are still 1-2mm (1/32") off of 3 inches, but it surely close enough for 25 yards. At least for my shooting accuracy!

I don't think I can insert a file on these forums, but if you send me your email, I'll send you the .pptx PowerPoint file. Just send me an email (from my profile)for faster response. Thanks

PS - The PowerPoint file prints in landscape mode with no scaling on your printer. Printing it in Portrait mode goofs up the dimensions. I also tried to copy this into a Microsoft Word .docx file, if you would prefer that. They both print OK with very close dimensions for me. Thanks.

Last edited by ibm1jh; 12-05-2017 at 07:43 PM. Reason: added PS on printing and Word file