Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2018, 03:13 AM

Default Six digit SG Inland, howd I do?

Pretty excited about this one, I’m not in to the whole ‘all matching’, never dicked with, safe queen type of collecting. I love a rough rifle with some character, and a fun range gun and collection example, excited to show her off.

https://imgur.com/gallery/SWUIN
Old 01-07-2018, 04:38 AM

For your purpose of a "fun range gun" that looks to fill the bill. A six digit is certainly not "rare" by any means but it is a nice variation. The marking on the rear sight is interesting, hopefully someone else here can identify that marking?

Though I do like untouched factory original carbines as well, I have to agree with you on the "rough" look used carbine or rifle as well. I like to be able to take a well used carbine/rifle to the range in not so nice weather and not have to worry about it. Maybe even take a carbine into the woods and likewise not worry if I add some more "character" to the stock or such. Beside a nicely worn carbine or rifle can look great on display with the "been there done that look".
Old 01-07-2018, 04:53 AM

Not rough at all! Normal wear and tear for that old of a rifle. Looks like a keeper! terry
Old 01-07-2018, 06:32 AM

Nice rifle, good luck with it!
Old 01-07-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrm View Post
The marking on the rear sight is interesting, hopefully someone else here can identify that marking?
Howa Machinery, Japan
Old 01-07-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ97 View Post
Howa Machinery, Japan
So there is a very high likelihood that this rifle served in the Pacific against the Japanese, amd if it was left there, then most likely saw action in Korea correct?
Old 01-08-2018, 02:57 PM

Then I hope you will excuse those of us who are into both kinds. Looks nice, should be a fun range carbine. I carry a correct Winchester every year deer hunting. The moral is: You can use them in the field or range, beat up or not, still a fun gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugernovice View Post
Pretty excited about this one, I’m not in to the whole ‘all matching’, never dicked with, safe queen type of collecting. I love a rough rifle with some character, and a fun range gun and collection example, excited to show her off.

https://imgur.com/gallery/SWUIN
Old 01-09-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeshaker View Post
Then I hope you will excuse those of us who are into both kinds. Looks nice, should be a fun range carbine. I carry a correct Winchester every year deer hunting. The moral is: You can use them in the field or range, beat up or not, still a fun gun.
I’m not meaning to be disparaging to those that collect differently, I have just been shamed by purists in the past by the rifles I’ve thought were amazing additions to my collection. For example, I had purchased a shooter G43 and was super stoked about it. I posted a bunch of pictures that demonstrated my excitement and had my thread almost instantly flooded with a bunch of comments about how it wasnt worth what I paid, some said they’d never have something like that in their collection, that I shouldn’t have wasted my money on that kind of a rifle, comments like that is what I’m used to. So again, I did NOT mean any offense to those that do focus specifically on all matching, un arsenaled, all Type I rifles
Old 01-09-2018, 06:13 AM

It takes all kinds of kinds. Personally I like the salty rifles and 1903s that have been rebuilt by the Marines.

What's the point of a historical rifle if if sat it's lifetime not doing anything historical. But there are people who would rather have untouched pieces that are near perfect. Collect what you enjoy, but no one should be shaming anyone else for it (unless they're bubba-ing it)
Old 01-10-2018, 09:21 PM

I like the old rifles as well as "restoring" m1 cabines to WW2 configuration. Some disagree with that. The answer is an old Spanish proverb. "sobre gustos no hay disputa"..there's no accounting for tastes or to each his own.