Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali201 View Post
you fail to mention if the hammer is a T1, 2 or straight t3. Slide type, mag catch type, safety type??? We need pictures of these parts not just the stock to give better assessment. Pictures of trigger housing separated from action, close ups of safety, mag catch, etc..
Pictures of everything I thought might be needed below. I can take others if needed.

Last edited by hound46; 01-11-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:36 AM

With the exception of a few T3 parts, you have a very nice early Inland. Probably would leave it as found.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmfpacdoc View Post
With the exception of a few T3 parts, you have a very nice early Inland. Probably would leave it as found.
Please excuse my ignorance in carbine terminology. I’m trying to educate myself. What parts are T3 or not original? I’m guessing T3 means later replacements?

I’m not going to replace a thing. It looks too “correct”. If this was a garand, I’d think it was an example of a not-abused or used too hard and received a few updated parts like rear sight and bayonet lug and not an arsenal rebuild. I just don’t know enough about carbines to say it with confidence. . There’s also a good dose of wishful thinking sprinkled in.

Last edited by hound46; 01-11-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:13 PM

I would either call it a light arsenal rebuild or perhaps it was some collector's well thought out attempt at a restoration. Either way it's a nice looking carbine with honest wear and some pretty valuable early parts.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

I tend to think it is partially or mostly original. I only see a dogleg hammer strike on the trigger housing, not two (front one from dogleg and back one from type 3 hammer). May have been a field upgrade to add the type 3 barrel band (with bayonet lug) and the adjustable rear sight. Very nice purchase.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:45 PM

Thanks for everyone’s help. I’m going to put things back together. Since I’m not selling I think it’s OK to ask-What’s a realistic “retail” value on this?
Old 01-11-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NC View Post
I tend to think it is partially or mostly original. I only see a dogleg hammer strike on the trigger housing, not two (front one from dogleg and back one from type 3 hammer). May have been a field upgrade to add the type 3 barrel band (with bayonet lug) and the adjustable rear sight. Very nice purchase.
Mike in NC, Are there any incorrect internals? If not, the feel I get is field upgraded rear sight and barrel band. I could do the detective work on a garand, but the carbine internals I needed the help and it was much appreciated.

Thanks to everyone.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

Hard to tell without disassembling the entire trigger group and taking pictures of the markings on those and all other parts. From what I can see the trigger group looks good. From the pictures, I can't tell if it is a type 1 hammer with the groove or slot in the top or it is a later type 2 hammer without this slot. You should count the coils in the hammer spring to see if it is the early 22 coil or later 26.5 coil spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound46 View Post
Mike in NC, Are there any incorrect internals? If not, the feel I get is field upgraded rear sight and barrel band. I could do the detective work on a garand, but the carbine internals I needed the help and it was much appreciated.

Thanks to everyone.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NC View Post
Hard to tell without disassembling the entire trigger group and taking pictures of the markings on those and all other parts. From what I can see the trigger group looks good. From the pictures, I can't tell if it is a type 1 hammer with the groove or slot in the top or it is a later type 2 hammer without this slot. You should count the coils in the hammer spring to see if it is the early 22 coil or later 26.5 coil spring.
Iíll get some pictures and count the coils.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:20 PM

The hammer spring has 22 coils.